Planning on settling in with some NFL wildcard action this weekend? Having witnessed a ton of games ourselves, we totally get it.
But lately we’ve been feeling antsy, and here’s why: The average length of an NFL game is 3 hours and 12 minutes. Which means, on top of all the moral issues surrounding the game, you’ll be spending a lot of your life on the couch—absorbing more than 100 commercials and 11 minutes of actual football. (Assuming you don’t DVR, of course.)
So, just to play devil’s advocate, here are 12 activities you can do in the same time it takes to check out that scintillating Cardinals-Panthers matchup…
1. Fly from New York City to Kansas City (or better yet, Miami).
2. Watch two soccer games (say, Manchester United v. Stoke City and Chelsea v. Tottenham).
3. Have sex anywhere from 1 to 6 times.
4. Watch a Lord of the Rings movie.
5. Watch the film Swingers. And the film Made.
6. Run a marathon. (Or at least a half marathon.)
7. Cook a turkey.
8. Drive from Portland to Seattle (with a bathroom break).
9. Learn how to speak with an Irish accent.
10. Make 38 five-minute phone calls to family members.
11. Read Tuesdays with Morrie.
12. Or Against Football.