So you’ve found out you’re a boring person who can’t fully appreciate the finer things in life. Don’t sweat it, buddy, that’s why we’re here. We’re giving you 20 expressions you can drop in casual conversation that will make you sound smarter. And in some instances, you’ll be the only one who knows what you’re saying… wow, that’s really smart!
1. "I’ve found my tastes in music and film are rather catholic."
FANCY WAY OF SAYING: I like a lot of different kinds of music and movies.
2. "I’ve always found the shlemiel protagonists of Woody Allen’s films a pitch perfect amalgam of neuroses and winning banter."
FANCY WAY OF SAYING: Woody Allen movies make me laugh.
3. "I find the brisk and viral expansion of Pan-Asian cuisine in the States endlessly fascinating.
FANCY WAY OF SAYING: Isn’t it weird how many new Thai places there are around here?
4. "Avatar, on a contextual level, is an abomination. But when divorced from its own merits, the sensory experiences are ceaselessly winning."
FANCY WAY OF SAYING: Avatar’s plot sucked but it looked pretty cool.
5. "Who’s in the mood for an amuse bouche?
FANCY WAY OF SAYING: Who wants appetizers?
6. "I’m sorry, but I find this conversation rather insipid."
FANCY WAY OF SAYING: You’re boring me.
7. "The real question here is… what’s the low hanging fruit?"
FANCY WAY OF SAYING: Stop bothering me and go do some stuff that doesn’t require my answers.
8. "It looks good, but where’s the added value?"
FANCY WAY OF SAYING: This is fine but I want to complain to make you look bad.
9. "I truly believe this is going to be a multi-quadrant consumer experience.