Easily the simplest of the hot cocktails. Hot coffee is little more than Irish whiskey in coffee with sugar. Don't let its simplicity fool you, the flavors of the coffee sugar and whiskey combine to create a delicious hot caffeinated beverage. Perfect to drink before you venture out to catch a cab.
- 1 1/2 oz of whiskey
- 6 oz of hot coffee
- Teaspoon or more of sugar.
- Add 1 &1/2 oz of whiskey to 6 oz of hot coffee and a teaspoon or more of sugar.
- Frothed milk can be added to the top to complete the drink but is not at all necessary.
The hot toddy is close to a whiskey sour in that it involves whiskey, a sweetener (honey), and a sour element in the form of a lemon. When heat is added the experience is fundamentally different, and absolutely delicious. This is perfect for anyone who happens to be suffering from a sore throat, a common winter ailment.
To make your own hot toddy combine:
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 oz Rum or Whiskey
- 1/4 lemon
- I cup hot water
- Let the honey and the alcohol mix in the glass.
- Add the lemon and the hot water.
- Sprinkling cinnamon over the top is common and adds an extra wintry flair.
Hot Buttered Rum
While this may sound like something a wizard would drink to forget his woes it is actually a standard drink that has been around for many many years. In essence this drink is a 50/50 mix of cookie ingredients and alcohol. Nothing bad can come from this.
To make your own you need:
- I cup brown sugar
- I cup sugar
- 2 sticks of butter
- Hot Water
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- Mix the butter, the nutmeg, and the sugars together until they form an even paste.
- Put this in the fridge and let it rest until firm.
- To prepare the drink put a tablespoon of the paste in a mug, add 1 & 1/2 oz. of rum and 1/2 a cup of hot water.
- Top with a little more nutmeg and drink until winter is nothing more than a dream in the back of your mind. If you add a little extra rum this will happen much faster.