The next time you’re complaining about how long it takes your girlfriend to do her makeup, keep in mind that you don’t even know the half of it. As if exfoliating, moisturizing, concealing, contouring, highlighting and tweezing weren’t enough, women are under more pressure than ever to take beauty to the next level. And it involves some truly bizarre treatments. Here are five weird things women are doing to their faces.
1. Microblading: Some time in the past few years it was decided that bold brows are in—and women have been obsessed with achieving them ever since. In order to avoid tediously drawing them in with makeup every morning, women are paying for a somewhat painful procedure called microblading. Microblading is a semi-permanent eyebrow tattoo using a tool that looks like an exacto knife. Yikes. The special microblade is dipped into pigment and then implanted in the skin with tiny cuts to mimic brow hairs. It’s not cheap, it takes a couple of hours and it hurts. So, the least you can do is wax your uni-brow.
2. Vampire Facial: This insane facial technique was made popular by Kim Kardashian when she had one done on an episode of Kim and Kourtney Take Miami. If the name of the procedure, the vampire facial, wasn’t creepy enough, the actual process sounds like something from a science fiction movie. First a doctor withdraws blood from the arm, and then processes it to separate out the platelet-rich plasma. The plasma is then injected back into the face with a needling technique. The painful facial is said to encourage new cell growth and help with wrinkles and acne scars.
3. Lip injections: Next time you kiss a pair of nice and plump lips, consider that they could be filled with her own fat—from her ass. Lip fat transfer is a type of lip augmentation that involves using a syringe to remove fat from one area of the body, like the buttocks, and re-injecting it into her lips.
4. Eyelash Extensions: Eyelash extensions have become extremely popular, and can be customized to each woman’s preferences. Some go for the long and thick porn star look, while others try to achieve a more natural result. The long process involves dipping individual lashes into adhesive, and then bonding them to the natural lashes one by one. To make the fake lashes last, the upkeep can be pretty high maintenance. It’s recommended to avoid getting water directly on the eyes, certain makeup products must be avoided, no rubbing the eyes with a towel, and sleeping face-up is preferred. All this for lashes. Aren’t you glad you’re not a woman?
5. Charcoal Face Mask: One search for “charcoal mask” on Instagram or YouTube and you’ll see what a big fad this beauty treatment has become. As the videos prove, the peel-off face mask looks pretty painful but oddly satisfying because the super clingy mask slowly pulls off blackheads and other gunk. The activated charcoal ingredient is said to exfoliate, draw out impurities and refine pores. So don’t be alarmed when someone in a black face mask pops out of your bathroom; it’s just your girlfriend.