Barbecued cocktail recipes combine many of the best things in life – alcohol, food, grilling and impressing women. Offer a woman beer at your barbecue and she’ll take it and say “thanks.” Offer her a grilled lemonade and she’ll follow you back to the grill to watch you make it. She gets to see you do something cool. You get to ply her with drink. It’s win-win all the way around.
How do you make grilled lemonade? Below is a grilled lemonade barbecue cocktail recipe that I tried for the first time earlier this year. It was great. Alcohol and sugar – always a winning combination.
Makes: One 64-ounce pitcher
6 pounds of lemons, or about 16 lemons
½ cup water
½ cup sugar
½ cup honey
2 rosemary sprigs (optional)
1 cup bourbon (when I tried this it was with Four Roses, which did the trick)
1. Cut the lemons in half and dip the cut side in sugar. Set on a clean tray.
2. Combine water, sugar and honey in a saucepan or disposable aluminum tray. Optional: Add a few sprigs of rosemary to the saucepan. The women present will be impressed that you even know what rosemary is.
3. Heat up the grill for medium-high heat. For additional rosemary flavor, throw a handful of rosemary sprigs on the hot coals just prior to grilling. Some of the women present may faint at the site of your spice-related dexterity. So, heads up on that.
4. Grill the lemons cut-side down until nice grill marks appear. This will take about five to seven minutes, which will allow you plenty of time to revive all of the ladies who have fainted. Remove the lemons and set aside to cool.
5. While grilling the lemons, place the saucepan with honey syrup on the grill. Heat the syrup until sugar and honey are full dissolved and the desired amount of rosemary flavor has been infused into the syrup. Make sure you say the words “rosemary-infused syrup” at some point, but make it real casual, like it’s not big deal and you infuse rosemary into syrup all the time.
6. When lemons are cool, squeeze the juice into a pitcher. Because they’ve been grilled, they should be easy to squeeze by hand. The liquid will be dark, because it has been infused with smoke. Add syrup and water to taste, bourbon and ice. Stir well, serve and collect your reward.