Behind the Lights: Zebras on Ice
Learn what it takes to become a professional hockey referee at the California Referee School at Toyota Sports Center. Rob Shick, our lead referee, discusses his background, career highlights and insights into this fascinating training process while Andrew Santino is put to the test on the ice with the other trainees.
- Becoming an NHL ref takes more than the ability to skate and not break up fights. We sent our host to the California Referee School at Toyota Sports Center (where the LA Kings train) to learn how hockey officials are molded—and how they keep their teeth.
- The Oakland Coliseum is the last stadium still used for both MLB and NFL games. How do they make the switch? From moving 24,000-pound slabs of concrete to dropping in seats for the “Black Hole,” here’s an inside look at the quick change.
- It’s the ugliest mascot in sports. On the verge of college football season, we experience everything that goes into creating the 7-foot, 20-pound Stanford Tree costume (welding!), wearing it with pride and, of course, using it to chase pretty girls.
- Walking out the first pitch, running with the sexy “Pad Squad,” playing with fireworks, Andrew Santino shows us what goes into the games behind the game at beautiful Petco Park. Yes, he even gets to shoot baseballs out of a giant bat-shaped gun...
- US Olympic Water Polo captain Tony Azevedo shows us what it takes to compete in one of the Games’ most grueling sports. From hard elbows to trick shots, BTL host Andrew Santino learns that winning in the pool involves more than a sweet Speedo.
- We kick off our new series by sneaking into the visiting clubhouse as the Oakland A’s take on the Texas Rangers. Unpacking Josh Hamilton’s bag, stocking his locker and “mudding” up game balls are all part of going behind the lights of the Major Leagues...
Hey, how you all doing? We’ve now had two tough divisional games and it's easy to see why people have been calling the AFC North the new Black and B...read more »
EDITOR’S NOTE: Throughout the 2012 NFL season, Green Bay Packers star Randall Cobb will be blogging about life in the NFL for Made Man. The electrif...read more »
Who says they are a horrible investment? Here are nine storied baseball cards that could have paid off your student loans and then some....read more »
EDITOR’S NOTE: Throughout the 2012 NFL season, Cincinnati Bengals Pro Bowl receiver A.J. Green will be one of two gridiron stars blogging about life...read more »