You don’t have to be a gourmet chef to eat well when you are camping. If you are going to be camping and living in the woods for a few days, you are not going to want to leave your environment so you can go find a restaurant in the “real” world. That defeats the purpose of getting away from it all. If you want to enjoy a full camping experience, you can make a number of wonderful dishes that taste great.
Start off with something simple. The first night, prepare the basics and you and your family can gain confidence that you can cook a great meal over a fire. You want to cook burgers, hot dogs, and baked beans.
Burgers, Hot Dogs and Baked Beans
- Grilling grates
- Copper pot
- Ground beef
- Hot dogs
- Hamburger buns
- Hot dog buns
- Baked beans
- Garlic Salt
1. Season your ground beef and form into large hamburger patties. Place your patties on the grill or grilling plates.
2. Grill for three minutes per side over hot fire. Serve with tomatoes, onions and ketchup.
3. Grill hot dogs in same manner. Two minutes per side over hot fire. Serve with your favorite condiments.
4. Pour baked beans into copper pot. Season with ketchup, brown sugar, onions, molasses and dark mustard. Cook over fire until beans are bubbling.
Pork Chops on the Grill
With a little preparation, grilled pork chops can quickly become one of your favorite meals when camping.
- Soy sauce
- Lemon juice
- Brown sugar
- Garlic powder
- Rib pork chops (1/2-to-3/4 inch thick)
1. Combine lemon juice, brown sugar and garlic powder in a large resealable freezer bag. Mix well.
2. Place six rib pork chops in the bag and refrigerate or place in a cooler for three hours.
3. Grill thoroughly over your cooking fire. Pork should be white or light in color. If it is red or translucent, it is not cooked well enough. Cooking 6-to-8 minutes per side should be enough to cook your pork chops without drying them out.
Grilled Shrimp with bacon
- Sliced bacon
- Shredded cheddar cheese
1. Shell and wash your shrimp. Remove all the visible veins.Slit the back of each shrimp with a small paring knife.
2. Insert cheddar cheese into the back of the shrimp and then wrap each piece of shrimp with a slice of bacon. U
3. Use a toothpick to hold it together. Grill the shrimp until the bacon is crisp.
Grilled Asian Chicken
- Soy sauce
- Olive oil
- Garlic salt
- Lime juice
- Chicken breast cut in strips
1. Mix soy sauce, honey and olive oil together.
2. Cut up your chicken into strips about 3-inches long and 1-inch thick.
3. Place the strips and the mixture in a resealable freezer bag and refrigerate or place in your cooler for three hours.
4. Place your chicken on the grill and season with garlic salt and lime juice.
5. Cook for 8-to-10 minutes per side until the chicken has lost its pinkish color and is opaque and white.