Dita Von Teese
- The Queen of Burlesque
- Heather Renée Sweet
- Rochester Michigan
- United States
- Actress Burlesque Artist Fetish Model UN Goodwill Ambassador
Dita Von Teese Bio
Dita Von Teese (born Heather Renée Sweet on September 28, 1972 in Rochester, Michigan) is a popular American burlesque artist, and is generally credited as helping to revive the burlesque scene. She is famous for having a tiny waist, though it goes to 20 inches on the thing above, she is really known for 17 inches.
Von Teese has been fond of wearing elaborate lingerie such as corsets and stockings from a very young age, and, in her words, "puts the tease back into striptease" with long, complex dance shows complete with props and characters, often inspired by 1930's and 1940's musicals and films, of which she is a fan.
Beginning in a lingerie store when she was 13, Dita progressed to becoming a stripper when she turned 19, and eventually, a fetish model. Her retro pin-up look, frequently emulating Bettie Page in photo shoots, set her apart from most other fetish models of the day.
She was classically trained as a ballet dancer from age five, and is also a trained costume designer.
She was featured in Playboy magazine in 1999, 2001 and 2002.
She is also a leading fetish model and has been compared to Bettie Page. She also acts, in such movies as Romancing Sara, Matter of Trust, in which she is billed as Heather Sweet, and also in two films by Andrew Blake: Pin Ups 2 and Decadence. She also appeared in the 2005 short film, The Death of Salvador Dali.
On December 3, 2005, von Teese was married to musician Marilyn Manson in a non-denominational ceremony at Gurteen Castle in Kilsheelan (County Tipperary), Ireland, the home of Gottfried Helnwein. The wedding was officiated by surrealist film director and comic book writer Alejandro Jodorowsky. They reportedly exchanged vows in front of approximately 60 guests, including burlesque sensation Catherine D'lish, Lisa Marie Presley, Eric Szmanda, and Jessicka and Christian Hejnal. She wore a royal purple silk taffeta gown by Vivienne Westwood plus a tri-corned hat and matching Mr. Pearl corset. On December 29, 2006 Von Teese filed for divorce from Manson citing "irreconcilable differences." Von Teese left their house empty-handed on Christmas Eve, and was not able to get in touch with Manson to inform him of her intentions of divorce. In an interview with The Daily Telegraph, Von Teese says "I wasn't supportive of his partying or his relationship with another girl. As much as I loved him I wasn't going to be part of that". The "other girl" is believed to be actress Evan Rachel Wood.
Dita Von Teese Trivia
- Dita drives a 1939 Chrysler and a 1965 Jaguar S-type
- She frequently cites Betty Grable as her favourite actress.
- Her waist measures 22 inches, and can be pulled down to 16 inches with a corset.
- At the beginning of her career she called herself Dita. This was an hommage to the silent filmstar Dita Parlo. As soon as she made the Playboycover people told her she should better get a second name. She opened the phone book and found the name Von Treese and chose it. Accidentially Playboy misstyped the name to Von Teese and Dita adopted it. From that moment on she is known as Dita Von Teese.
Dita Von Teese Playboy Appearances
- Playboy's Lingerie Model Search February 1997.
- Playboy's Book of Lingerie Vol. 58 November 1997 (Mizuno, pages 8-9).
- Playboy's Real Sex February 1998.
- Playboy's Book of Lingerie Vol. 62 July 1998 (Mizuno, pages 14-15).
- Playboy's Body Language October 1998.
- Playboy's Book of Lingerie Vol. 64 November 1998 (pages 84-85).
- Playboy's Book of Lingerie Vol. 66 March 1999.
- Playboy's Book of Lingerie Vol. 67 May 1999 - Mizuno (pages 28-29).
- Playboy's Book of Lingerie Vol. 69 September 1999.
- Playboy's Girlfriends September 1999 (pages 76-81).
- Playboy's Book of Lingerie Vol. 70 November 1999.
- Playboy's Book of Lingerie Vol. 72 March 2000.
- Playboy's Book of Lingerie Vol. 74 July 2000 (pages 68-69).
- Playboy's Book of Lingerie Vol. 75 September 2000.
- Playboy's Book of Lingerie Vol. 78 March 2001.
- Playboy's Book of Lingerie Vol. 84 March 2002.
- Playboy's Sexy 100 February 2003.
Dita Von Teese Literature
- Dita Von Teese: Burlesque and the Art of the Teese, Regan Books, 2004. ISBN 0060591676
- Midori, Craig Morey, The Seductive Art of Japanese Bondage, Greenery Press, 2001. ISBN 1890159387. - von Teese as Shibari-Modell
- Peter W. Czernich: Dita - Fetish Goddess, Marquis Edition, Solingen, October 2002, ISBN 3-934237-06-1