- holytaco.com: The 10 Most Worthless College Majors - Holytaco
- Rhonda Michelle Wright
- Pittsburgh PA
- United States
- News Anchor
- Reading Gardening Pilates Volunteering
- Cute And Funny Friendly Bubbly
- Desserts (fried Oreos Cake Etc.)
Michelle Wright Biography
Michelle Wright was born on October 8th in Lynchburg, Virginia. She graduated with a bachelor's degree in political science and a double minor in journalism and television from Liberty University, an independent, fundamentalist Baptist university located in her hometown.
After graduation, she took a job at the local ABC affiliate WSET-TV in 1984, as an anchor/reporter and eventually executive producer. In September of 1994, she moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania's ABC affiliate, WTAE-TV and joined the news team as a co-anchor/reporter. Michelle has remained there ever since, working as an anchor in numerous—and often prominent—broadcasts.
As of 2009, she appears as the regular co-anchor of the 6:00 PM news with Andrew Stockey and subs for the noon broadcasts as well as reporting stories for the 5:00 and 5:30 PM timeslots.
Michelle Wright Awards and recognition
Michelle has been awarded three Emmy Awards, a 1998 National Headliners Award, a 1998 Edward R. Murrow Award and been honored by the Associated Press and the Pennsylvania Association of Broadcasting, among others. She drew national attention when she covered the Quecreek mine disaster and rescue ("Miracle at Quecreek") in 2002. The year prior, she covered the events of September 11, broadcasting from the scene of the Flight 93 crash in nearby Somerset County.
Michelle Wright Personal life
Michelle is married and has two children, Zachary (Zach) and Allison (Ally). In her spare time, Wright volunteers for many organizations and appears at numerous events in the Pittsburgh area as hostess or guest speaker. Some of the causes include The Leukemia Society, National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), Big Brothers and Big Sisters, Special Olympics, Race For The Cure, and co-hosting the annual Project Bundle-Up telethon. Other interests include reading, music, watching films, gardening, doing Pilates, antique shopping, and spending time with her children.
Michelle Wright Trivia
- Favorite books: Angela's Ashes, Psalms, works by Billy Collins
- Favorite films: Forrest Gump, Wizard of Oz, Shawshank Redemption, and Life is Beautiful
- Most embarassing moment: Interviewing former First Lady Barbara Bush while covered in mud from a previous story
Michelle Wright Sources
- The California Journal staff. "Southpointe Hosts Poinsettia Tea Luncheon," pg. 2, The California Journal. California University of Pennsylvania/Office of Public Affairs. California, PA 15419. November, 2005.
- Smith, Denise. "Broadcast TV." Broadcasting & Cable. August 19, 1996.
- Wright, Michelle. Michelle Wright's Blog.