Let’s See How Smart You Are
1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.
2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?
3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for
several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted
every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?
4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?
5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear
inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is
genuine; it hasn’t been cut in any way. How did the pear get
inside the bottle?
6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters ” dw”
and they are all common words. Name two of them.
7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar.
Can you name at least half of them?
8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.
9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter “S.”
SCROLL DOWN FOR THE ANSWERS
1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants
know the score or the leader until the contest ends . . Boxing
2. North American landmark constantly moving backward . Niagara Falls
(The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because
of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.)
3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for
several growing seasons . Asparagus and rhubarb.
4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside .. . Strawberry.
5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the
bottle. (The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.)
6. Three English words beginning with dw . Dwarf, dwell and dwindle.
7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar . . Period, comma,
colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark,
exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces,
8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed,
cooked, or in any other form but fresh Lettuce.
9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with “s”.
Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.