As it turns out, there’s a very simple way to get in the mood that doesn’t involve a little blue pill. In fact, all you have to do is raid your fridge. Seriously.
Food has long been used to increase sexual desire (and, hey, a glass or two of wine never hurt anyone either), but did you know that certain foods can literally help you perform better in the bedroom, too? Get ready to dig in because these aphrodisiacs and performance enhancers will help make for a successful sesh between the sheets.
1. Dark Chocolate: You’ve probably heard of this one before because it’s known to make you horny AF, but dark chocolate also releases the hormone serotonin, which makes you happy, too. Horny and happy—that’s a solid combo.
2. Ginseng Tea: According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, ginseng affects the gonadal tissue and increases sperm count, sexual activity and performance. So drink up!
3. Garlic: Although it might kill the mood during a make-out session, garlic contains the compound allicin, which is said to increase blood flow to sexual organs. That means you’ll last longer and you’ll both have stronger orgasms.
4. Asparagus: You might want to reconsider this veggie you once avoided as a child. Docs say asparagus might give you a funky pee smell, but it’s also rich in folate, which regulates the production of histamine, a chemical released during orgasm.
5. Watermelon: A study conducted at Texas A&M’s Fruit and Vegetable Improvement Center says that watermelon has a Viagra-like effect on the body. Plus, it’s damn delicious.
6. Fatty Fish: Mark your calendar for a sushi date because the tuna wrapped in your favorite rolls is high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which help with circulation and keep everything operating optimally.
7. Spinach: Popeye had the right idea when he downed cans of spinach. And, come to think of it, he was always chasing Olive Oyl around, probably because he was in the mood. Spinach is a strong source of magnesium, which helps increase blood flow below the belt.
8. Hot Peppers: Hot peppers can make your sex life, well, hot. Not only do they increase your metabolism, but they also increase blood flow to your nether regions.
9. Pesto: This sauce does double duty. While basil stimulates your sex drive and boosts fertility, pine nuts are full of zinc, and people with higher levels of zinc in their systems have been shown to have stronger libidos.
10. Cheese: Just kidding, but a girl can dream, right?