Listen, I’m a feminist, at least to an extent. And I believe in pulling my weight in a relationship—even learning to do some handy things myself. But that doesn’t change the fact that there are just some things that I—and most women—expect you will know how to do, skills we believe are basically etched into your Y chromosome. Not sure whether you’re up to code? To make us swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
1. Grill: I’m talking gas and charcoal, people. Burgers, dogs, chicken, veggies, the works. Bonus points if you can do that thing where you cook corn, with lime, in tin foil.
2. Drive Stick Shift: Nope, I don’t know how to do it. Nope, I don’t care to ever have a stick-shift car. Yes, I assume you know how to drive one.
3. Change a Tire: I should probably know how to do this too. (I swear, Dad, I’m going to learn some day.) But you definitely should know how to do this.
4. Operate a Drill: And use it to hang a heavy, framed piece of artwork—straight.
5. Troubleshoot a Broken Appliance: Sometimes the fix requires a professional. But I at least want you to be able to do some diagnostic work to reach that conclusion.
6. Assemble Furniture—IKEA or Otherwise: It’s a pain in the ass, but someone’s gotta do it. And that someone is you.
7. Use a Lawn Mower: For that big yard we will have some day.
8. Find Your Way Around: Or at least not be too ashamed to ask for directions.
9. Free a Stuck Car (Thank You, Winter): Whether by shoveling, pouring salt & kitty litter, or pushing with your own bare hands.
10. Defend Your Lady: Against what, you ask? Anything and everything.
- Click Below for More Galleries