Yes, it's 2017 and office dress codes have relaxed considerably since the days when a man couldn't step out in anything less than a three-piece suit. And while that's mostly for the best, it's no excuse to start dressing like a slob. Instead, stick to the following principles and you'll stand out in just about any workplace—in a good way.
1. A great watch is a necessity. It not only dresses up your handshake but your newfound promptness for 9am meetings will help you get ahead.
2. Not every shoe has to lace or buckle; try a Chelsea boot. Not only do they look great under a slim suit pant but will dress up a pair of jeans too. We love these by Jack Erwin.
3. What’s in your bag speaks volumes about you. Does yours say, “I live in my car and carry everything I need with me at all times.” Or does it say, “All I needed was the contract. Sign here.”
4. Retire the black nylon messenger bag and upgrade to an investment piece in quality leather that you can carry forever. Here are some of our favorite work bags.
5. We'll say it again: Burn your square-toed dress shoes.
6. Nothing says "amateur" like an ill-fitting suit. Find a tailor and find him fast. Once you do, here's how to talk with him to ensure the perfect fit.
7. French cuff shirts can really class up a suit, but not jeans.
8. Just say no to novelty ties.
9. If you are allowed to wear jeans to work, keep them neat and clean. Nothing about your office attire should be described as distressed. We're liking Mott & Bow denim right now.
10. Your tie should never be wider than your lapel and shouldn’t hang below your belt.
11. The fewer logos, the better. Your only allegiances at work should be to your company, not your favorite team or brand.
12. White socks are for the gym, not for under a suit.
13. Playful socks are a great way to show your personality at the office, but they should still complement the whole outfit. We've rounded up our 50 best statement socks here.
14. Socks should reach your midcalf, so as not to show your skin when seated.
15. Wearing sneakers with a suit can look great, but don’t wear your old grimy gym shoes to the office. Instead invest in a great pair of dress sneakers.
16. Not every shirt has to be white.
17. No baseball caps. Want to wear a hat? Try a more refined porkpie or fedora style. We like Worth & Worth.
18. When it comes to belts, opt for a classic silver buckle. Extra points if your initials are engraved. We really love this one.
19. Switch it up: Try a polo shirt with your suit. We recommend a solid color without a logo, like these from KP MacLane.
20. Never leave home in unpolished shoes.
21. Don't forget the power of a great blazer. It'll dress up a pair of jeans, but it can usually be worn with the pants from your other suits to double your wardrobe.
22. While you don’t need to slick your hair back a la Mad Men, any hair on your head or your face should always be neat and trim.
23. Get a manicure. No one wants to shake an unkempt hand.
24. Keep the sandals out of the office.
25. It may be a cliché, but think it through: At the end of the day, dress for success.
- Click Below for More Galleries