Sometimes the best way to while away a meeting that is crushing your 9-to-5 soul is by trolling social media, digging on beautiful cars. In fact, some of these very automobiles can compel you to demand that you finally get your due (i.e. a better, faster, sweeter car). Reverie can be the working man's best friend, but the car enthusiast's worst enemy. And the dreamer? Shit, he's dead meat. Here then are five Instagram accounts you should definitely only check out on a rainy day while the Netflix is buffering. Photo: Instagram/@the_simple_machine
1. LoveCars: A convertible Rolls is what greeted me the last time I checked in on LoveCars, presently boasting a cool 198K followers. Sucker looked like something Bond could best a baddie in but also a machine worthy of a countryside road trip with two kids in the back seat. The duality made it that much more the dream car—its inaccessibility a loogie in the face of my work ethic.
2. GearPatrol: GP is really cars... and so much more. After perusing the Insta for a bit and seeing beautiful car after beautiful car I stumbled upon some snaps of sweet watches and I thought, "Ah... gears... clever." But then there was a smattering of foodporn, and beyond that some shots of exotic locales and an entire section of the magazine the Insta is born out of dedicated to all things outdoors. I guess it's everything that revs us boys up. But the cars... oh, man the cars.
3. the_simple_machine: A considerably less ambitious page, as its name might suggest, this one could be my fave. With not even 3K in followers, the page wears its simplicity on its considerable sleeve. The angles of many of the shots are spectacular, and sometimes the zoom works overtime, like when it snags a close-up of a Porsche carburetor; the accompanying caption reads, "Beautiful rack." "Mean muggin'" is the one alongside a 1952 Cunningham C-4RK Racer, and there's absolutely nothing simple about that one.
4. Petrolicious: Imploring all to "#drivetastefully," this Insta leans heavily on race cars but manages to squeeze in a classic car or two while doing so, with plenty of forays under the hood to boot. If you've ever daydreamed about owning a Jag one day, this is the place to go. It shared a '67 E-Type sitting gingerly on cobblestones gracing Petrolicious only a few days ago. Interestingly, the sucker was/is for sale, with 20k original miles on it. Apologies to your boss in advance.
5. Camden Thrasher: Sometimes this page merely boasts a pic of a bunch of Polaroids of cool cars, which can be a nice departure from the glint and glare of the kinda car that gets demolished in a Fast & Furious movie. Other times it's a grainy black and white shot of a classic car prowling slowly through some weeds, shot from the ground looking up. Always innovative, never boring—the way Instagram was meant to be. Car manufacturers, too.