These days, starring movie roles for cars are typically reserved for high-end exotics, monstrous trucks and American muscle cars. A Netflix series pitch on a full-size luxury sedan would likely be tossed in the trash, unless you've got some A-lister like Tom Cruise attached to play the lead. But after having a chance to wheel the new 2018 Jaguar XJ-R575 in Portugal, we’re convinced that this thing is more than worthy of a starring role in an action-packed flick. Here are five reasons why.
1. It’s in the blood. As a Jaguar, the XJR575 helms from a long lineage of movie cars, which has included films like Die Another Day and Gone in Sixty Seconds. Yeah, most of the starring Jags have come in the form of a vintage coupe or high-revving sports car like the Jaguar F-Type SVR that we’ve previously raved about. However, the new 575-horsepower model of the XJ is proof that the British nameplate’s star appeal goes much deeper than cool two-seaters.
2. It owns the stage. The thing that strikes you first about the XJR575 is that eye-popping exterior color, Velocity Blue—especially when the car is set against a backdrop as breathtaking as Portugal roads. But make no mistake, it’s the rush you get when cornering the supercharged Jag on some tight, twisty road that really sells you on its star appeal. The Jaguar sedan is also offered in a more low-key color called Satin Corris Grey, for those who aren't as bold.
3. It always aims to impress. The more you drive the XJR575, the more it convinces you that a full-size sedan can be just as exciting on the screen as a sports car, if not more. In fact, the XJR575 tends to keep you suspended in this baffled but exhilarated state, mostly because of how well it handles itself on the road, especially given its size. The sedan also makes it easy to bring a few guests along with a number of luxury amenities to keep them entertained.
4. It's driven to perform. Although it’s the sedan’s 575 horsepower that tends to get most of the attention, there’s so much more to the XJR575’s appeal as a performer. Take, for example, the fact that the Jag can go from 0 to 62 mph in 4.4 seconds flat, or the fact that it can go from a complete standstill to 186 mph in just 44 seconds, making it one of the fastest full-size sedans on the planet.
5. It's got great character. The personality of a vehicle is much more than its performance attributes. Sure, that’s a major part of the allure, especially when it comes to a vehicle like the XJR575. But the overall character of a vehicle (when not on stage performing) is important, as well. In addition to its two exclusive paint colors, the XJR575 also sports unique features like 20-inch gloss-black wheels, a rear spoiler, side sills, a front bumper and lower air intakes accented in gloss black, which help to really crank up the car’s cosmetic appeal.