No-Shave November is coming on fast. At this point, most of us understand that, if done right, beards aren’t the laissez-faire fun fest people make them out to be. In fact, I always say, growing a good beard is like raising a good child: Groom it often, nurture it and try not to spill too much booze on it. Just kidding. Not really. Anyway, caring for your beard is way more important than rubbing a little shampoo in it every once in a while and giving it a good brushing. Keeping it soft, clean and healthy is a process that requires several important tools. Rather than go through each individual item and make you sort it out for yourself, we decided we’d arm you with everything you need to make the process as easy as possible. Here are the best all-in-one beard care kits. Photo: Getty Images/g-stockstudio
1. BirchboxMan Limited Edition: Badass Beard Kit, $45: Affordable all-in-one kits are awesome, and that’s exactly what you get with BirchboxMan’s limited edition Badass Beard Kit. For 45 bucks, you get a specially designed beard wash, a beard (and face) moisturizing lotion, a dry beard balm, as well as a great smelling beard oil, solid maple and walnut keychain comb and a mesh storage bag. The Billy Jealousy beard wash is a favorite because it’s a no-frills scrub that not only cleans and cleanses your whiskers, but also strengthens them with plant-based conditioners, aloe and even honey. A bottle of that stuff alone is like, 20 bucks. For the price and what you get for it, we don’t think this kit can be beat.
2. Bespoke Post: Trimmed, $45/$55: The team at Bespoke Post was into the “monthly box of stuff club” business before anyone even knew it’d be a trendy thing, and they hit the nail right on the head with their “Trimmed” box. The no-frills kit includes everything you need to keep your beard healthy, trimmed and clean anywhere and everywhere you go, including beard oil (The same Northern Fir stuff in the BirchboxMan kit); natural oil Miner’s Mint Soap, to help keep your beard and skin healthy; Tweezerman four-inch mustache scissors; a durable quality pocket comb from Kent; and a pack of on-the-go BeardWipes from Beard Paw. If you’re doubting the wipes, the only thing we’ll say is: Don’t knock it ’til you try it. Oh, and it also comes in a beautiful and durable waxed canvas pouch.
3. Zeus Deluxe Beard Care Kit, $68: Zeus’ bear-care kits are the stuff of legends, and have been for quite some time. At $68, it’s a little on the spendier side, but if you know Zeus’ products, you know they’re really top-shelf. That said, the kit comes with their specially designed beard shampoo and conditioner, both specifically designed to prevent itchiness, flaking and split ends, and also includes their excellent branded beard oil, as well as a genuine boar bristle beard brush (Jesus Christ, try saying that one 10 times fast). If you’re really ready to kick your beard game up a notch, this kit is definitely your huckleberry.
4. Seven Potions Beard Grooming Set, $53: If you’re looking for the bare bones essentials in a kit that certainly won’t break the bank (or you live overseas, as they’re based in London), the standard Beard Grooming Set from Seven Potions is an excellent choice. The kit includes only what you need and none of what you don’t: one genuine boar bristle beard brush, one 3.4 Oz. container of Seven Potions’ beard shampoo and one bottle of their most popular Woodland Harmony beard oil. All in all, it’s a great kit for someone looking for value, reputation and affordability in a neat and tidy package.
5. Maison Lambert Ultimate Beard Kit, $65: This kit may top out at nearly $65, but when you look at all the things you’re actually receiving with it, it suddenly becomes a pretty damn good bargain. The Ultimate Beard Kit from New York-based luxury men’s skincare brand Maison Lambert features everything you could ever want to keep your beard looking tip-top. Aside from arriving in a beautiful genuine wood cigar box, the kit itself includes a four-ounce bottle of their beard shampoo, a canister of their beard balm, a one-ounce bottle of their handmade beard oil, a comb and a free bar of their popular body soap. Everything Maison Lambert produces is made by hand and between 90-percent and 99-percent organic. It might burn a slightly larger hole in your pocket, but if you’re looking for the best, this kit is worth every penny.
6. Can You Handlebar Advanced Beard Care Kit, $85: For a lot of people, shelling out 85 bucks for any quantity of beard product is insane—especially if you’re only interested in bearding out for one or two months of the year. We get it. But if you’re really looking to make an investment in the quality of your facial hair and feed it the best shit out there, this is definitely a kit you should consider. It includes one of their most popular scents “Wisdom,” which is a little piney, a little lumber-y and a little citrusy. It’s fresh and light, and we like it a lot. Also included is a can of their popular beard balm, a bottle of their traditional beard oil, their custom-made Can You Handlebar beard brush and a can of both their primary and secondary mustache waxes. It comes with a sweet little shop rag, too, if you’re into that kind of stuff.