If you are like me, the summer heat can really change your mood—both for better and for worse. There's the initial feeling of relief, since it feels like it's been a half-century since you've had warm weather. But then, before you know it, you feel dread. The heat. The humidity. The blaring sun hitting you from every direction. You long to be indoors. But when you are, you feel guilty. Well, there is a solution. Gentlemen, behold the hat (cue applause). It's your saving grace. It's your shade. It enables you to enjoy the fabulous weather without getting fried. Check out some of our favorite options for this summer, and be sure to wear them with a dose of sunblock.
1. Zara Flecked Beret (Zara, $20): Half paperboy cap, half beret, this linen cap gives you an artistic flair that will extend far beyond the dog days of summer.
2. Grey Patterned Trim Wool Puritan Hat (Topman, $45): This is by far your hat for the summer. Not only is there a pop of florals, but there is also gray, which is having a major moment right now and can transition very easily into fall.
3. Denim Baseball Hat (Urban Outfitters, $15): Anything in denim can make a hipster very happy. And, with that vintage feel, this is a perfect option for heading to the beach on a weekend getaway.
4. Straw Panama Hat (ASOS, $19): If you are terrified of the sun like I am, a Panama hat is key. It has a wider brim than most other hats. And, with this one's neutral band, it goes swimmingly with almost any outfit.
5. Patterned Straw Hat (H&M, $13): Heading away for a summer vacation? Nothing quite says "time to relax" like palm trees. This hat is sure to become your go-to.
6. Straw Trilby (Nordstrom, $49): The grown-up version of the fedora, this hat will withstand the test of time and be worn on your head for years to come.
7. Houndstooth Linen-Tweed Baseball Cap (MR PORTER, $180): Want a cap that you can wear all year round? Then this is it. Neutral, classic tweed can be worn in the heat of the summer and in the chill of the winter.