Making a return to the Dodge line-up after nearly five years, the 2016 Dodge Viper ACR is being heralded as the fastest street-legal track Viper ever. And given the history of the sports cars in races like the American Le Mans Series and IMSA United SportsCar Championship, that’s saying a lot. Here are nine more facts you should know, along with some jaw-dropping pics, of course.
1. Introduced in 1999, that iconic ACR badge on the new Viper stands for American Club Racer.
2. Powered by a hand-built 8.4-liter V-10 engine with 645 horsepower and 600 lb.-ft. of torque, this ride has the most torque of any naturally aspirated sportscar engine in the world.
3. In addition to its hand-built V-10 engine, the Dodge ACR is also equipped with unique high-performance tires, a special track suspension and Carbon Ceramic Matrix brakes designed exclusively for the sports car.
4. The Dodge Viper ACR has a top speed of 177 mph.
5. Additional performance elements include the ACR Extreme Aero Package that delivers nearly 1 ton of peak downforce at top speed with the help of an adjustable dual-element carbon fiber rear wing, rear carbon fiber diffuser and a special hood.
6. To get even better performance on the track, the ACR features lightweight carpet, a minimal three-speaker audio system and manual seats, all of which help reduce the car’s weight.
7. The Viper ACR is also offered with Dodge’s ‘1 of 1’ customization option, allowing customers to create a one-of-a-kind model of the high-performance snake from the ground up.
8. The Viper ACR includes a Unique Alcantara hand-crafted interior with an ACR dash badge and accent stitching.
9. Built in the heart of Detroit, the 2016 Dodge Viper ACR will have a starting price of $117,895 when it goes on sale later this year. Sign us up.