Waking up can be brutal—especially when a sweet dream is interrupted by the sound of that damn alarm clock. You may look to find a ritual to help you look forward to your mornings and ease into your day—a cup of coffee outside in the fresh air, a seated meditation session... or sex. It’s hard enough to get out of bed right away each morning, so why not use those extra minutes doing the deed with your partner? According to a ton of research, it’s not just a way to make better use of your time, but it's also just plain good for you.
1. According to a 2010 study in PNAS, morning sex has the fantastic ability to boost your mood. According to the study’s findings, pleasurable activities like eating and sex are capable of releasing oxytocin, the feel-good chemical responsible for making us happy.
2. Sex when the sun rises relieves stress. Ever feel like you wake up stressed? You likely dreamt about all the things you needed to do the next day, and you woke up in a sweat. The next time that happens, get tangled up in the sheets. The 2010 study published in PNAS found that the oxytocin released during sex can also reduce stress by inhibiting anxiety responses in the brain.
3. Morning sex revives the heart. Given the scary statistic that cardiovascular disease is the leading global cause of death, accounting for 17.3 million deaths per year, it’s nice to know you can lower your risk by getting busy. A study at Queens University in Belfast concluded that getting it on three times a week can cut the risks of heart attacks or strokes in half. You might as well do it in the morning.
4. Make love not war (against cancer). Another study out of Nottingham University also found that men who kept up a regular sex life were at a lower risk for developing prostate cancer. With metastatic prostate cancer—the most aggressive of all its forms—on the rise, morning sex is a preventative measure.
5. Age and sexual health go hand-in-hand. Young people get it on like bunnies, and the elders let their pipes get dusty. If you fall in the latter, it’s time to reawaken your sexual prowess, since, according to research, sex can help you feel younger. Researchers asked men and women questions about their sex lives, and found that those who looked younger than their age reported having sex 50 percent more on average, in the 40-to-50 age group, which translated to three times a week, as opposed to twice. Sex releases the human growth hormone, which works to make the skin look more elastic, so make it a morning ritual.
6. Sex in the AM is a morning workout. Ever wake up and wish you were the type of person who could get in a sweat sesh before work? Don’t we all? Well, according to a study in PLoS ONE, young men burn 4.2 calories a minute for men and young women burn 3.1 calories a minute on average, which means that you can skip your morning walk in lieu of an orgasm.