The Golden State Warriors’ blowout win over the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Finals proved it’s sometimes hard for a game to hold our attention, particularly when Rihanna walks past. (Seriously, Jeff Van Gundy is paid to watch and he still fell to pieces.) But this is nothing new. Here’s a look at all the times (female) people in the stands overshadowed those actually playing.
1. Rihanna Does Deutschland: Yes, her fandom spans continents—and sports. Highlights of the German team’s run to World Cup glory in 2014 include destroying host Brazil 7-1 in the semis and Rihanna flashing her bra in triumph when they took the title. RiRi later partied into the night with Bastian Schweinsteiger and company.
2. Mariah Carey Shows Off Her Wizard Wear: Michael Jordan’s time with the Washington Wizards is now largely forgotten. (Which is just the way Mike wants it.) The highlight of those two seasons is unquestionably this tribute from Mariah, looking way better in a Washington uniform than Gheorghe Muresan ever did.
5. Brazil’s Miss Bum Bum Messes With Messi: Suzy Cortez is the winner of an actual pageant for that title. She is also known for wearing a Messi jersey and little else. As Lionel is a father of two in a long-term relationship, he has done his best to block her outreach efforts on social media, but it still tears Ronaldo up inside.
6. Jennifer Scholle Takes the Court: Former tennis player James Blake’s career highlights include reaching #4 in the world, twice reaching the quarterfinals at the US Open, and dating Jennifer, who launched a modeling career when she attended Blake matches and invariably caused everyone to forget the actual match.
7. Jessica Simpson’s Cowboy Color Scheme: Athletes dating celebrities is not uncommon. Many try to avoid the limelight. Not Jessica Simpson, who subtly alluded to her relationship with Dallas quarterback Tony Romo by wearing his jersey, only in pink. It helped establish a pattern that haunted Romo much of his career: everybody noticed him, but not for the reasons Cowboy fans would have hoped.