If you’ve been out to a bar with your guy friends, there’s a good chance you’ve had one or multiple encounters locking eyes with an attractive lady across the bar. But what do those looks mean? Is she interested in you or did you just happen to look up at the same time? If you’re curious how to handle that moment, here are the thoughts going through her head when you make that fleeting (or not-so fleeting) eye contact.
1. Is he looking on purpose? If you lock eyes quickly and either or both of you look away, she’ll be wondering if you were actually looking at her. Or did you just happen to be gazing around the bar and accidentally look her way at the same time she looked at you. If you meant to look her way, or you like what you see, make eye contact again.
2. Is he married? After noticing you looking at her, if she’s interested, the next thing she’ll be looking for is a ring. Let’s be honest, even those who can’t touch do tend to look from time to time, and she’s not trying to waste any stares on you if you’re not available.
3. I hope he thinks I look hot. Once your eyes lock—and if they do so more than once—she now knows you might be interested. So she’s going to start thinking about that. She might try standing up a little straighter, twirling her hair or even flipping it a bit to try to look sexy. She wants to make sure you think she looks good.
4. Am I the only one he’s looking at? OK so you looked her way, but did her looks and demeanor grab your attention? Or is she just one of many that you’re noticing in the room? She’s going to be aware of who else you’re looking at, and if you’re making the moves on anyone else.
5. How can I make him know I’m interested? If the stares turn into laughs or smiles, she wants you to know she’s friendly and approachable. Her goal is to make you feel like you can come her way—she’s open to it. Also, if she gets her whole girl gang to start looking your way, and they approvingly exchange whispers and chats, this is another move to make it very obvious what she’s thinking.
6. I want him to come over. If she really is interested, she’s not going to mess around. She’ll keep looking your way and smiling more consistently. It’s not an accident—it’s your green light to go talk to her.