As Spinal Tap lead singer David St. Hubbins once famously pointed out, there’s a fine line between stupid and clever. Similarly, when it comes to the clothes you put on your body, there’s a fine line between hideous and handsome. Sometimes it just takes a minor adjustment to go from looking like a total dork to looking like a total panty-dropping machine. Here are 17 relatively easy ones—provided by top experts—you can employ to seriously enhance your fashion game… and have a lot more sex, basically.
1. Get a Tailor: “A good tailor can make an OK piece of clothing look amazing. Local dry cleaners sometimes have tailors. Department stores offer free tailoring services. Bottom line: Find a tailor you like and take care of this relationship!” —April Masini, relationship expert and author
2. Opt for Tighter Clothing: “The biggest mistake I see guys make is they wear clothing that hangs off them and doesn’t flatter their bodies. Find clothing that accentuates your positives. This is especially important if you work out a lot and have a fit body. Make sure women can tell!” —Jonathan Bennett, life and dating coach
3. Opt for Tighter Pants, Specifically: “Slim trousers or denim are the way to go, as they accentuate and highlight men’s most prominent parts. Great options exist ranging from high fashion brands to more affordable fast fashion. It’s time for men to embrace their best assets.” —Tommy Lei, menswear stylist
4. Match Your Belt to Your Shoes: “It sounds like pretty basic advice, but it’s a serious offense for most ladies when overlooked. If your shoes are a color you don’t have a belt in, like white casual sneakers, opt for a failsafe black belt.” —Jennifer M., stylist, Stitch Fix
5. Wear a Watch: “A good timepiece always sends the right message to potential partners. A watch suggests punctuality, success and grown-up behavior. Invest in this accessory and seek out something timeless that looks just as at home with your suit as it does with jeans and a tee on the weekend.” —Jennifer M.
6. Replenish Your Wardrobe: “Treat your wardrobe the same way you would your car or your body. Don’t skip wardrobe maintenance and updates. Make sure you have go-to clothes for dates, weddings, cocktail parties, sporting events and work. And of course, stock up on underwear that is going to be attractive and not scary.” —Masini
7. Invest in a Good Suit: “Most women still love the way a guy looks in a suit. Get yourself black dress pants, a button-down shirt, and a black suit jacket. Then pick out a nice tie—nothing goofy or novelty. Make sure all of it actually fits. Dressing up will make a man more desirable to almost all women.” —Bennett
8. Wear Performance Underwear: “I wear my athletic performance underwear—designed for working out and sports—as my regular underwear. They are fitted and smooth, and they pull moisture away from the skin. When a woman reaches in my pants, she loves the way my package feels with this garment. It has improved my sex life!” —Devon Ryan, actor and model
9. Get a Leather Motorcycle Jacket: “Is there anything dreamier than a man in a motorcycle jacket? Throw on this essential item when autumn weather rolls in to add a dash of edginess to your usual jeans and tee uniform.” —Stephania S., stylist, Stitch Fix
10. Add a Blazer: “The simple addition of a casual blazer to an outfit shows you put some thought into what you’re wearing and adds just a touch of polish to your overall style.” —Jennifer D., stylist, Stitch Fix
11. Go Sockless: “Whether you’re wearing a pair of slim-fit jeans and smart sneakers for a night out, or tailored trousers and suede derbies for a wedding, leaving a small gap between the top of your shoes and the bottom of your pants will bring a relaxed sense of sophistication to a guy’s ensemble.” —April Davis, New York City matchmaker
12. Wear Clean, Wrinkle-Free Clothing: “Tend to your apparel! Going out in public with wrinkles or a stain will take attention away from you and make women think about why you chose to come out like this—and question why they’re with you.” —Isaac Saqib, menswear designer
13. Clean Up Your Shoes, Too: “Whether it’s the sneakers you don for running errands or the leather oxfords you wear for your 9-5, clean and polished shoes make a difference to the ladies looking you over.” —Jennifer M.
14. Roll Up Those Sleeves: “Simply unfasten all of the buttons on your sleeves and roll the fabric upwards until it comes to somewhere between your elbow and halfway up your biceps. It will help you look and feel cool while saving cash on short-sleeved shirts.” —Davis
15. Personalize Your Style: “You need to have a personal style, an edge, but it only serves you well if you carry the boldness forward up to the point your confidence will allow. Find that distinct style based on who you are. Maybe where you came from becomes a small signature in your style—adding a touch of preppy, surfer or Western. Be bold, be unique, but be confident.” —Lee Johnson, founder, Old Bull Lee
16. Bench the Sneakers: “If you’re on a first date or some other important event, keep your sneakers in the closet and wear a pair of chukka boots or desert boots for a grown-up, got-it-together look.” —Stephania S.
17. Cut Out Trendy Pieces: “Stay away from trends. They attract a certain type of acceptance-craving personality. Instead look to fewer clothes but better, timeless clothes—quality products and brands. Things that last, but also gain character and patina with time.” —Johnson