Bottled fragrances work for the traditional cologne wearer, not the millennial on the move. Today’s man needs to maintain his signature scent without being weighed down by a spray bottle. Enter the solid cologne. These waxy fragrances are easily applied to the pulse points, affordable, portable and TSA-friendly. Here are some of the top options available.
1. Solid State Aviator ($40): Convenient in size and powerful in scent, Solid State’s selection of fragrances hosts a variety of engaging smells that are ideal for the active man. The Aviator’s blend of woody aromatics and crisp citrus is brought together by top notes of grapefruit, mint and sandalwood.
2. Alfred Lane Enigma Limited Edition ($30): Made for the confident, self-assured man, this limited-edition cologne features a robust blend of spicy, woodsy and smoky notes. The formula also promotes natural ingredients and oils that work together to moisturize the skin.
3. Fulton & Roark Shackleford ($42): The best scents are usually the subtle ones. Shackleford by Fulton & Roark offers just that—masculine with a rich base of amber and sandalwood. A natural blend of premium oils also rejuvenates the skin.
4. Le Labo SANTAL 33 ($92): A luxury fragrance brand beloved by style mavens like Victor Cruz, Le Labo has transformed its popular Santal 33 scent into an enriched wax composition. Housed in a refillable bullet-shaped amulet, it combines sweet almond, coconut and soybean oils for a soothing smell.
5. Spruce Cologne Solid by Otter Wax ($30): A suitable scent for the nature lover, this one comes loaded with notes of bergamot, lime, Valencia oranges, beeswax and shea butter. The cologne reacts to your body temperature to evoke the great outdoors—in a good way. Keep the one-ounce tin in your fifth pocket on hiking trails.
6. L’Ombre Dans L’Eau By Diptyque’s ($50): Any man might fear the rose-scented perfume but this cologne oozes machismo. The blackcurrant leaves and Bulgarian roses blend into a serene aroma. Suffice to say, if the Garden of Eden owned a scent, this would be it.
7. Detroit Grooming Co. Corktown ($20): The wallet-friendly option just so happens to be a top selection for solid cologne aficionados. A beeswax and coconut oil base ensures skin nourishment, while the gentle blend of cedar wood, tobacco and vanilla delivers a clean and comforting scent that’ll tickle any woman’s fancy.