When a news item about a beer made with Rocky Mountain oysters (that’s bull testicles, people) came across the radar at Made Man, we just knew we had to dig up some weird beers that are brewed with just about everything but the kitchen sink. How daring a drinker are you?
1. Mamma Mia’s Pizza Beer That’s right, an ale brewed with oregano, tomato, basil and garlic. Pepperoni and cheese extra.
2. Ta Henket Dogfish Head’s Sam Calagione is sort of the godfather of “off-centered ales,” and it is hard to get much odder than this recipe found in Egyptian hieroglyphics that includes chamomile, palm fruit and herbs.
3. Key Lime Pie The title says it all. This beer is made with fresh limes, graham cracker, marshmallow crème and milk sugar. Dessert, anyone?
4. Thyme after Thyme A Belgian winter ale made with orange peel and thyme. Goes great with a cold.
5. Pastrami on Rye A beer brewed with cinnamon, mustard seed, bay leaves and caraway seed. Don’t forget to pair this with a kosher dill pickle and a bag o’ chips!
6. Saison de Wench A farmhouse ale brewed with rose petals and hibiscus (commonly found in tea). Takes a real man to drink this one in front of his friends.
7. Voodoo Donut Bacon Maple Ale The key ingredients are in the name. Who says you can’t have beer for breakfast?
9. The Concoction Peat smoked malt, lemon juice, minced ginger and wildflower honey help impart a potpourri-like aroma to this funky beer. So at the least it will probably improve your breath.
10. Hemp Ale Hey, if you can put limes, pizza, rose petals and bacon in beer, why not hemp? And don’t worry, it’s legal in all 50 states.