Knowing these 10 aging changes to expect can help you not only prepare, but to prevent their arrival. All people age, but not everyone ages equally. Modern medicine can not only slow some of the aging changes that naturally occur, but some can be completely avoided. Consult with your doctor for healthy plans to deal with aging changes.
- Muscle mass decrease. One of the aging changes to expect is a decrease in muscle mass. On average, after the age of 45, humans lose approximately 7% of their muscle mass each year. Weight training and regular exercise can slow the process, but not stop it. Healthy eating is also related to the maintenance of the muscle mass.
- Sexual hormone decrease. As aging changes to expect go, a decrease in sexual hormones may be the most noticeable amongst married persons or those in long term relationships. The decrease in the hormones results in a lowered sex drive and often leads to men no longer achieving erections. These changes become apparent in women through a lack of desire for sex and issues with dryness in the vaginal area.
- Higher blood pressure. As the heart grows older, it has to work harder to pump blood through the system. One of the aging changes to expect from this fact is an increase in blood pressure.
- Slower metabolism. Aging changes to expect include some weight gain. As we age, our metabolism slows and it becomes harder to maintain a normal weight.
- Core weigh gain. Additional fat around the abdomen is one of the aging changes to expect. As we age, the body produces more cortisol, a hormone which causes weight gain around the stomach.
- Memory loss. Aging changes to expect include memory loss. Neurons, or brain cells, in the brain decrease leading to the loss of memory.
- Brittle nails. Aging changes to expect as we age include the thinning of finger nails. Brittle nails are caused by a decrease in over-all hormone production and drying of the skin.
- Loss of sight. Macular degeneration is part of aging changes to expect. As we age, the muscles around the eye become weaker and affect our eyesight.
- Sleeping more. Aging changes to expect include staying in bed for longer periods of time. Increased trips to the bathroom and disruptions from other conditions and medications lead to these changes.
- Wrinkles. The ultimate in aging changes to expect include the loss of elastin in the skin resulting in wrinkles. Wrinkles on the face can be eased with the use of skin creams and through plastic surgery.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
10 Real-Life Heroes Who Inspired Indiana Jones
Legend has it, these guys are the real MVPs.