10 American River White Water Rafting Tips
Here are 10 American river white water rafting tips that will help to ensure safety and fun!
- Safety. Always wear an approved flotation device. This is not only one of the most important American river white water rafting tips that are to be learned but it is also a law in most states. Even the most experience white water rafter can end up overboard. Proper safety equipment saves hundreds of lives every year.
- Attire. Always dress for water temperature rather than land temperature. During a rafting trip water splashes up and rafters often end up soaked. Being properly dressed to withstand the temperature of long time water exposure is the best bet when it comes to choosing attire.
- Guide. First time water rafters should never go it alone. Go with a licensed guide. This will ensure safety and proper skill training. This is one of the most important American river white water rafting tips.
- Camera Equipment. Leave the camera at home. With all the water and movement that is involved in white water rafting many cameras get destroyed. It is a good idea to just leave the camera equipment at home.
- Be Prepared. The goal is to stay in the boat at all times. However, always be prepared for a fall. Many rafters fall out of the boat every day, it is nothing to be alarmed about. Falling overboard can be pretty fun, but the first time it tends to be a little frightening.
- Length of Trip. There are single day rafting trips and multi day rafting trips. One of the good American river white water rafting tips for beginners is to go on a single or half day rafting trip. More than that is too much.
- Where to Go. There are American river white water rafting locations all over the United States. It is best to start out with an American river white water rafting location that is in a comfortable climate.
- When to Go. Spring and summer are the two best times to go American river white water rafting. During these times of the year the weather is warm enough to prevent hypothermia or other issues that come with cold weather, in almost all regions of the US.
- Children and Rafting. It is Ok to take children American river white water rafting. Make sure that the child is prepared and will not get scared easily. Find a tour that is customized for families with children and ask about minimum age requirements.
- Packing. Single and half-day rafting trips do not require a lot of packing. A change of clothes, a few snacks, and plenty of clean drinking water will get most people through a single or half-day American rive white water rafting trip.
Posted on: May. 04, 2010