These 10 antique furniture restoration tips will be helpful if you have old pieces of furniture you’d like to restore. With a few restoration products and a couple of hours, you can restore your antique furniture to its former appearance.
- To remove mold and mildew from an old piece of furniture, mix 10 percent household ammonia with water in a spray bottle. Spray the spots and wipe it off with a cloth. Use fine steel wool for stubborn spots.
- Clean an antique tin item with denatured alcohol and a piece of fine steel wool. You can also use this to clean copper as well.
- Remove stain from furniture with a paste stripper. Scrub the surface with a #3 steel wool and bleach. Get to hard to reach places with a plastic brush.
- Don’t be afraid to use staples to re-upholster antique furniture. The staple only leaves two small holes and is quick and easy to use.
- Remove old rocking chair legs and rockers with a dead blow hammer. If the joints are stubborn, use a little vinegar on the joints.
- Use lemon juice to remove sticky residue from antique furniture. The lemon juice is a natural, safe way to remove the adhesive.
- Use paste wax to wax antique wood furniture. Apply the wax and buff with the furniture with a soft cloth.
- An antique clock can be safely cleaned with a mixture of 50 percent raw linseed oil, 48 percent vinegar and two percent methylated spirits. Shake before using. The mixture should have a creamy consistency.
- Remove vinyl tablecloth residue from a wood table by applying paint thinner to the surface. Keep the surface wet while lightly rub the paint thinner on the surface with a #0 steel wool. Dry the surface. Repeat if necessary.
- Reference an old photo of your furniture or one similar to it before starting a restoration project. It will give you inspiration and keep you focused on your restoration goal.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?