These 10 antique furniture restoration tips will be helpful if you have old pieces of furniture you’d like to restore. With a few restoration products and a couple of hours, you can restore your antique furniture to its former appearance.
- To remove mold and mildew from an old piece of furniture, mix 10 percent household ammonia with water in a spray bottle. Spray the spots and wipe it off with a cloth. Use fine steel wool for stubborn spots.
- Clean an antique tin item with denatured alcohol and a piece of fine steel wool. You can also use this to clean copper as well.
- Remove stain from furniture with a paste stripper. Scrub the surface with a #3 steel wool and bleach. Get to hard to reach places with a plastic brush.
- Don’t be afraid to use staples to re-upholster antique furniture. The staple only leaves two small holes and is quick and easy to use.
- Remove old rocking chair legs and rockers with a dead blow hammer. If the joints are stubborn, use a little vinegar on the joints.
- Use lemon juice to remove sticky residue from antique furniture. The lemon juice is a natural, safe way to remove the adhesive.
- Use paste wax to wax antique wood furniture. Apply the wax and buff with the furniture with a soft cloth.
- An antique clock can be safely cleaned with a mixture of 50 percent raw linseed oil, 48 percent vinegar and two percent methylated spirits. Shake before using. The mixture should have a creamy consistency.
- Remove vinyl tablecloth residue from a wood table by applying paint thinner to the surface. Keep the surface wet while lightly rub the paint thinner on the surface with a #0 steel wool. Dry the surface. Repeat if necessary.
- Reference an old photo of your furniture or one similar to it before starting a restoration project. It will give you inspiration and keep you focused on your restoration goal.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.