10 Athletes That Died Young
This list of 10 athletes that died young is a tribute to those who passed away before their time. These 10 athletes that died young have left us wondering what they could have accomplished had their careers not been cut short.
- Chris Henry, Cincinnati Bengals. Chris Henry was a wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals who was plagued by problems off the field. Just when it seemed he was turning things around, his life was tragically cut short when he fell out of the back of his fiancee's truck during an argument. Henry's death is one of the most tragic of these 10 athletes that died young.
- Nick Adenhart, Los Angeles Angels. Nick Adenhart was a talented young pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels. On April 9th, 2009, the car Adenhart was in was broadsided by another vehicle that had run a red light. Adenhart died at the University of California Irvine Medical Center from injuries sustained in the accident.
- Darrent Williams, Denver Broncos. Darrent Williams was a promising young cornerback for the Denver Broncos, part of one of the most fearsome secondaries in the NFL. After a night of partying on New Year's 2007, a disagreement in the club led to a drive-by shooting that took Williams' life. Denver will always remember this young man on the list of 10 athletes that died young.
- Pat Tillman, Arizona Cardinals. Pat Tillman was a safety for the Arizona Cardinals who cut his NFL career short to enlist in the United States Army. While serving his country on a mission in Afghanistan, Tillman was killed by what was reported as a friendly fire incident. The details of his death were investigated by the US Congress.
- Sean Taylor, Washington Redskins. Sean Taylor was a hard hitting safety for the Washington Redskins who was three and a half years into what was looking like a hall of fame career. In 2007, an armed intruder broke into Taylor's home and shot him in the upper thigh, severing his femoral artery. Taylor died the next day at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
- Steve Bechler, Baltimore Orioles. Steve Bechler was a pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles who died of heatstroke during spring training in 2003. An autopsy later revealed that Bechler's heatstroke was linked to his use of the drug ephedra, which he was taking to help him with weight loss.
- Thomas Herrion, San Francisco 49ers. Thomas Herrion was an offensive guard for the San Francisco 49ers. After an exhibition game against the Denver Broncos in 2005, Herrion collapsed and died in the locker room due to heart failure.
- Luc Bourdon, Vancouver Canucks. Luc Bourdon is one of the two NHL players on the list of the 10 athletes that died young. The Vancouver Canucks player lost control of his motorcycle in 2008 and struck a tractor-trailer. He died as a result of those injuries.
- Dan Snyder, Atlanta Thrashers. Dan Snyder was a center for the Atlanta Thrashers. This other NHL player on the list of 10 athletes that died young was also killed in a vehicular accident. The car he was a passenger in struck a wall with enough force to rip the car in half and eject Snyder from the vehicle. Snyder died six days later.
- Reggie Lewis, Boston Celtics. Reggie Lewis is the lone NBA player on the list of 10 athletes that died young. He was a small forward for the Boston Celtics before collapsing during an off-season practice due to a heart defect.
Posted on: Mar. 26, 2010