The top 10 awesome movie quotes is the cream of the crop from a list of likely contenders that have gradually found their ways into the American main stream. The movie buff is sure to recognize these unforgettable lines as being uttered by timeless heroes in must-see movies, many of which profoundly influenced their audiences.
Would you be able to tell who uttered one or more of these words that are now part and parcel of the American mainstream?
- "Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!” The list of awesome movie quotes starts with this 1948 line. Remember “The Treasure of the Sierra Madre?” Alfonso Bedoya is the character actor who uttered this unforgettable bit of movie history in his role of Gold Hat, the bandit leader.
- "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." Marlon Brando, in his role as Terry Malloy in the 1954 classic “On the Waterfront,” expressed the regrets of an awakened conscience.
- "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" The 1964 classic “Dr. Strangelove” gave rise to this inimitable line uttered by Peter Sellers as President Merkin Muffley.
- "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?” The collection of awesome movie quotes continues with the first of two lines from Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan. This one comes from the 1971 classic “Dirty Harry.”
- "You talkin' to me?" Who could forget Robert De Niro as Travis Bickle in the 1976 Martin Scorsese drama “Taxi Driver?”
- "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" This 1976 quote stems from the satire “Network” and is uttered by none other than Peter Finch in his role as Howard Beale.
- "Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac…It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!" The year was 1980 and the movie was “Caddyshack.” Uttered by Bill Murray in his role as the addled groundskeeper Carl Spackler, this line is unforgettable to this day.
- "Go ahead, make my day." The list of 10 awesome movie quotes would be incomplete without this Clint Eastwood classic. Put in the mouth of his character Harry Callahan in the 1983 movie “Sudden Impact,” it has become a catchphrase.
- "Say 'hello' to my little friend!" Also from 1983, this line denotes the appearance of Al Pacino as Tony Montana in “Scarface.”
- "Houston, we have a problem." Tom Hanks uttered this line as Jim Lovell in the 1995 drama “Apollo 13.”
This list of awesome movie quotes is a bit of trip back in time with many memorable and just plain remarkable lines that are now well ensconced in the American mainstream understanding as catchphrases.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
10 Mind-Blowing Necktie Knots
“How many knots are there?” you ask. Dozens, at least, most of which will totally amaze you.