In the 1990's, rap and hip hop came to the forefront of the musical world and produced these 10 awesome rap songs. Artists like DMX, Snoop Dog, Tupac and last but not least Eminem have been taking over the spotlight for the last twenty years and dominating the charts. Not only has the music been dominating the charts, but the personal lives and inner battles between rap artists have frequently been on the news. The relationship between Eminem and his mother as well as the death of Tupac have all been major stories in the news.
- Asheru: "Judo Flip." "Judo Flip" by Asheru is a sort of theme song for independent thinkers. The lyrics to the song such as "I am the stone that the builder refused" are an obvious nod to the philosophy of Huey Freeman, one of the main characters of the show. This song was made popular when it was picked up by Boondocks comic writer Aaron Mcgruder as the introductory theme song for the Boondocks opening credits.
- Eminem: "Cleaning out my closet." One of the most popular bad blood relationships in rap history is that of Eminem and his mother. The song "cleaning out my closet" by Eminem talks about his history and relationship with his mother during his early childhood in relation to his current success.
- DMX: "Right wrong." DMX's song "right wrong" is about his history and life and his guidance through life from above. As well as being a recap of his own personal history, DMX uses this song to state that selflessness and standing beside fallen brethren will be rewarded and he further exemplifies this point by pointing out his own success.
- Fort Minor: "Remember the name." "Remember the name" by Fort Minor is a collaboration between several different artists talking about each other. The song addresses the musical talent of, Ryu, Mike Jones, Tak, and several other artists. This song addresses a formula for success in the lyrics. "Ten percent luck, twenty percent skill, fifteen percent concentrated power will five percent pleasure and fifty percent pain." They point out that the formula for their success is at least half percent pain.
- ICP: "Tilt a Whirl." The Insane Clown Posse has a long sordid history of misunderstood lyrics and messages as well as frequent backlash from the public. The song "Tilt a Whirl" is about a ride in the dark carnival that kills people as they ride it. The point of this song however isn't just senseless murder. The ride is meant to be judgement for those who have earned such a death in life.
- Black Eyed Pease: "Don't Phunk with my heart." The song "don't phunk with my heart" is a pun on a certain swear word in the title. The song itself is about a woman and several suitors. The question of the matter is will they still love her if she decides to take them home, or will they simply leave afterwards. The video itself follows the format of a bachelorette dating show.
- Kanye West: "Stronger." "Stronger" by Kanye West is a play on a proverb by Freiderich Nietzche and that proverb is "whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger." Not only is this song about becoming stronger through trials, but it's also a love ballad.
- T-Pain: "Apple Bottom jeans." "Apple Bottom Jeans" by T-pain is about a woman entering a club dressed in apple bottom jeans who then proceeds to dance and drive the singer crazy enough to write a song about it!
- 50 cent: "In da club." The song "In Da Club" by 50 cent is simply about partying with a girl in a club. The video for the song transitions from a clinical testing lab to an actual night club.
- Bloodhound Gang: "Bad Touch." The song "Bad Touch" by Bloodhound Gang is about sex, no ifs ands or buts about it. It points out that mating rituals between various animals are shown in explicit detail on Discovery channel and makes various pop culture comparisons. The song being about sex is further exemplified by the fact that it's off an album titled "hooray for boobies."
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.