Want 10 Babe Ruth Facts? The Babe is one of the most recognized baseball players in American history. The rumors surrounding his life may never been known to be truth, but certain facts remain.
- Birth. George Herman Ruth was born February 8, 1895 in Baltimore, Maryland. He was the first born in a family that grew to include eight children. The neighborhood in which he was born is now home to Camden Yards, home of the Baltimore Orioles.
- Physical. A large man during adulthood, Babe Ruth stood 6'2 and weighed over 300 lbs during his professional baseball career.
- Family. Babe Ruth married a waitress named Helen Woofwood in October of 1919 and had two daughters, Dorthy and Julia. They divorced in 1929 and Ruth married Claire Hodgson later that same year.
- The nickname. The infamous nickname "the Babe" was a take off on a reporter's statement calling Babe Ruth one of "Dunn's babes" when he was signed as a rookie by Jack Dunn. Other names that stuck with him throughout his career included "The Great Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat"
- Southpaw. Babe Ruth batted, caught and pitched left-handed.
- Early career. Ruth was first signed to the Boston Red Sox in 1914. He remained with the Red Sox until 1928, when he was traded to the New York Yankees. Ruth played first base and was an outfielder. He was added to the pitching rotation as well.
- Later career. His last year of baseball was spent playing for the Boston Braves. He retired in 1935.
- Records. Babe Ruth held more than 60 official records during his career. These included home runs and strike outs.
The Curse. A legend persists that the Boston Red Sox failed to win a World Series from the time they traded The Bambino until 2004. The curse was supposedly created by the trade being done during the off season and with no warning to the fans.
- Death. Ruth died in New York in August of 1948. He was only 53 years old.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.