10 Back Tattoo Ideas
If you’re thinking about getting a tattoo on your back, use our 10 back tattoo ideas to give you inspiration. Getting a tattoo one your back is a good way to satisfy your need for ink and have enough space to do a really detailed tattoo. In the end, whatever you use for your back tattoo should be something special to you that you don’t mind living with forever–or at least until you have the money for laser tattoo removal–but this list of ten back tattoo ideas may be what you need to get your imagination going.
- Bio-mechanical - Look for an artist that has a lot of experience doing 3-D ink. Finding an artist who does good 3-D art can be the difference between a tattoo that shows off your inner borg brilliantly, or something that looks like a mutant garden snake. Getting a bio-mechanical tattoo is one of our ten back tattoo ideas that will make you a bad ass geek.
- Celtic - Getting a Celtic design like a cross or a rune is one of our ten back tattoo ideas that looks great as a full back piece, but is equally awesome as a lower back or shoulder piece. Take some time to research Celtic symbols; start with a cross or circle that is wide open and fill it in with Celtic symbols.
- Tribal - Getting a tribal tattoo is one of the ten back tattoo ideas that works well for someone who is looking for something that has an Earthy vibe. Native American, Latin and African cultures are great places to start looking for a sweet tribal tattoo.
- Personal statement- Using a word or phrase the defines your personal philosophy is one of the ten back tattoo ideas that will let everyone who see it know where you stand.
- Kimono- Getting a Kimono is one of our ten back tattoo ideas that will work well for people wanting a full back piece with an Asian theme. Getting a Kimono is ambitious and will take a lot of time but the end result will be worth it. You can use a scene from Japanese folklore for your Kimono tattoo or give scenes from your own life a Japanese flair.
- Crosses- These made our list of ten back tattoo ideas, because they work really well as a large scale piece and leave a lot of room to experiment with designs on. You can fill your cross with whatever you want; religious references are a good place to start when you're working with crosses.
- Portraits- Getting a portrait is one of of our ten back tattoo ideas that is designed for people that are looking to pay tribute with their ink. Getting a portrait of a loved one is a good way to pay homage to a loved one who has passed away, celebrate the birth of a child or commemorate a special time in your life. Although we suggest staying away from portraits of people who may end up being exes.
- Collage-Using a handful of your favorite movie scenes to create a collage is one of our ten back tattoo ideas that will keep people talking. The best collage we've seen was on a guy with a thing for killer clowns, creepy but very cool.
- Family crest- Using your family crest is one of the ten best back tattoo ideas that lets you carry your family colors where ever you go. Try to research your family's heritage and see if you can find a family crest first, but if you can't find one you can design one yourself.
- Nature scene- Using the wide space of your back is one of our ten back tattoo ideas that will let you pay homage to your favorite bits of nature no matter how the seasons change. Personally we're fond of the lone wolf howling in front of the full moon motif.