To hear 10 bad relationship quotes, you probably just need to look for ten people who have just recently broken up with someone else. There are more memorable quotations about bad relationships than comments on the good ones because partners are probably holding their breath, just hoping that things don't go south. Some of these quotes are sad, some are serious and and some are just plain fun.
“Maybe the most that you can expect from a relationship that goes bad is to come out of it with a few good songs.” Marianne Faithfull. Whatever pays the alimony bills, right?
“I got off on the fact that a guy would be so into me from the get-go without really knowing me. That's probably why I had so many bad relationships.” Christina Applegate. Pride comes before a fall. It happens this way in relationships, as well as with the rest of life.
- "The hottest love has the coldest end." Socrates. This quote shows that even Greek philosophers knew that good things eventually go bad, leaving nothing except ashes.
- "And I shall find some girl perhaps, and a better one than you, with eyes as wise, but kindlier, and lips as soft, but true, and I daresay she will do." Rupert Brooke. This quote shows us that finding a better replacement is always the best revenge.
"The heart was made to be broken." Oscar Wilde. Hey, Oscar! I thought rules were the things created to be snapped in two.
- "I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury." Groucho Marx. You can just see those big eyebrows bobbing up and down as you read this quote.
- "I swear—by my life and my love of it—that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." Ayn Rand. Yes, but how many conservative philosophers are also hot chicks?
- "Problems in relationships occur because each person is concentrating on what is missing in the other person." Wayne Dyer. Does this quote make you think Dyer wants his main squeeze to get a boob job?
- "Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts, and don’t put up with people that are reckless with yours." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. This quote says nothing about reckless pens, however. And Vonnegut wrote some really strange and—dare I say it?—reckless stuff.
- "A relationship, I think, is like a shark, you know? It has to constantly move forward or it dies. And I think what we've got on our hands is a dead shark." Woody Allen. Who but Woody Allen would compare "Love Story" to "Jaws"?
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...