Looking for 10 Beach Metal Detecting Tips? Beach Metal Detecting has become extremely popular. More and more people are looking for their own Pieces of Eight, or the undiscovered sunken pirate ship. It takes time and patience to fine tune the art of beach metal detecting, but its reward is an adventurous day in the sun, fulfilling your childhood dreams. Here are ten beach metal detecting tips for both the amateur and professional treasure seeker:
- Crowd Control. A great way to deal with people is to begin your search away from them. Give people a chance to see that you are harmless, and “get used” to your presence. As you ease closer to any group of people, you’ll be surprised to find most are curious about what you’ve found. If you don’t want to interact with people, start earlier or later in the day. Beaches are most popular during sunny afternoons.
- Competition. Remember that other treasure seekers are out there. Be polite. You may walk away with a great tip. If you still want peaceful solitude, go at different hours of the day. The morning after a good storm or just before sunset in the middle of the week is great alone time with the sand and the silence.
- Grid the Beach. Sometimes when we get antsy we tend to detect all over the place. This leaves a huge portion of the beach undetected by you. Although you may feel you went over an area, without a solid grid plan in place you missed something. Use markers, such as a pier or a lifeguard house. Slowly go over a 20' by 20' square grid and then move on. This will yield higher results.
- Secret Search Zones. The secret search zone is the middle point between high and low tide. In this zone toss the grid idea out. Work in a zigzag, similar to a tide gently rising and falling. On your return trip, repeat the zigzag in the opposite direction. Legend has it, this method was passed on from a grandfather who learned it from an old seafarer.
- Dig Everything. Bring an extra bag for trash. This is a great way to ward off the rangers that approach with concern. Show them how much trash you’ve cleaned off their beach.
- Tools. Use a plastic toy sand strainer and a small shovel or pick axe. The shovel or pick axe will dig the hole and the plastic strainer will help you sift through the sand without being detected itself. A screwdriver is great to help break up any shell layers under the finer sand.
- Test Coins. At the beginning of your search plant a test coin or two where ever you decide to begin your hunt. Do your searching for the day and when you head back home, stop and search for your test coin. This guarantees a find at the end of the day and is great practice. Worst case scenario; you’ve offered treasure to the beach for another to find.
- Parking areas/walkways. Its a great idea to search the walkways and parking areas of the beaches you search. In the evening, as people are headed home,you’ll find plenty of recent treasure. Quarters and earrings are the most frequently found. Though this may not be the gold you were looking for, it certainly helps out the gas tank.
- Research Beaches. An area that is popular today may not have been popular a decade ago. Go to the local library and ask the librarian about local lore. If you can find more secluded beaches, you may be onto a great location that few visitors and treasure seekers seldom loiter. Blackbeard’s treasure is still out there.
- Spare batteries/dish height. Always keep spare batteries on you. It’s a terrible feeling to hit the beach and find that you have no power. The other surprising observation is that seekers are holding their dishes too high from the ground. Most dishes are water resistant. Lower the dish and make sure you angle the dish parallel with the ground.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
You might be little spoon or perhaps a Belieber. Or, if you’re lucky, one popular country star.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.