If you're not convinced that changing your diet will improve your overall health, these ten benefits of eating healthy might just change your mind. Unlike going on a diet, changing your diet to be more healthy is not focused on weight loss. Instead, a healthy diet helps to improve your body's functioning, protect against disease and help you live longer. But it can also help you simply enjoy your life thanks to improved health and energy. And weight loss can certainly come about as one of the ten benefits of eating healthy.
- Protect your heart. Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States. A healthy diet can help reduce your risk of heart disease by lowering your cholesterol and your blood pressure.
- Prevent diabetes. Eating healthy can help prevent diabetes and the host of conditions that come with it. like heart disease and high blood pressure. A healthy diet helps you stay at a healthy weight, which is key to avoiding diabetes.
- Lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. A healthy diet helps you maintain a healthy weight while also providing your body with the nutrients it needs. Unlike crash dieting, which aids weight loss by depriving the body, a healthy diet keeps your body in balance and allows it to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Have more energy. Getting the proper nutrients in your diet gives you more energy. This may mean that you are able to exercise more and thus get the many benefits of an active life. It may also mean that you can simply enjoy your life more because you are able to do things you both want and need to do.
- Prevent cancer. A healthy diet low in saturated fat is associated with lower levels of many types of cancer. While more studies are needed on the diet-cancer link, current evidence suggests that a healthier diet, along with healthy changes like quitting smoking and exercising, can lower your risk.
- Sleep better. Eating healthy can help you sleep better at night. Adequate quality sleep promotes overall health by allowing your body time to rest and repair. Anyone who's gone without proper sleep can attest to the fatigue and low energy that comes with it. Getting enough sleep can leave you feeling energized and more able to take care of yourself, your responsibilities, and the people around you.
- Lower your stroke risk. Eating healthy can lower your risk of stroke. A diet lower in saturated fat and cholesterol can lower your blood pressure and also prevent the plaque buildup that leads to stroke.
- Pump up your immune system. Eating a healthy, balanced diet helps to strengthen your immune system. This can help you get sick less frequently, and it can also mean that you recover more quickly if you do catch something.
- Look fabulous. Eating healthy can improve your skin and hair, helping you look your best. And while that may not be as big a deal as preventing cancer or heart disease, it's easily one of the ten benefits of eating healthy.
- Live longer. A healthy diet is associated with longer life expectancy, especially when coupled with exercise. Moreover, that long life is accompanied by great quality of life, as you will be more energetic and healthy overall.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.