The beginning of the Cold War was a great time for cinema, especially darker genres like horror and science fiction. Here you’ll find our selection of the best 1950s sci-fi movies.
- "The Day the Earth Stood Still." Any film critic you come across will likely tell you the same thing: “The Day the Earth Stood Still” is the best 1950s sci-fi movie.
- "It Came from Outer Space." This was the first film that Universal Studios filmed in 3-D. Make sure you have your 3-D glasses on while watching it!
- "The War of the Worlds." Based on the classic H.G. Wells novel of the same name, “The War of the Worlds” won an Academy Award for special effects upon its release in 1953.
- "Creature from the Black Lagoon." While it might look ridiculously out of date today, upon its release and for some time after, “Creature From the Black Lagoon” was considered one of the best 1950s sci-fi movies. A remake of the film is rumored to be currently underway.
- "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea." Go way down with this classic, based on the novel by Jules Verne.
- "Tarantula." This uproarious film about a giant homicidal tarantula on the loose still freaks arachnophobists out to this day.
"The Fly." This is the original film that inspired the famous 1980s remake starring Jeff Goldblum about the guy who turned into a fly. It is also one of the best 1950s sci-fi movies.
"Godzilla King of the Monsters." This is one of the most famous, if not the best 1950s sci-fi film with a monster protagonist.
- "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." The American Film Institute chose “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” as the 9th best science fiction film of all time in 2008. Find out why by revisiting this timeless classic.
- "The Incredible Shrinking Man." The doctors can’t help this poor dude who has begun to shrink as the result of exposure to radiation. Perfectly capturing the paranoia of the Cold War era, “The Incredible Shrinking Man” is one of the best 1950s sci-fi movies we’ve seen.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …