If you love sci-fi films and you're stuck in the '80s, then you definitely want to check out this list of the 10 best '80s action sci-fi movies. Whether you enjoy post-apocolyptic settings or dig the films with creepy alien life forms, the '80s were a great time for sci-fi fans. The decade brought us some memorable sequels and unforgettable new releases. What are you waiting for? Grab the popcorn and let's check out the best of the best '80s action sci-fi movies!
- No sci-fi collection is complete without "The Empire Strikes Back." Released in 1984, this awesome '80s action sci-fi movie was originally thought to be the 2nd film in the "Star Wars" trilogy. Little did we know…
- "Krull" is a dark and suspenseful adventure in which a prince must rescue his beautiful bride from the beast that holds her captive. Only a mystical flying blade can kill the monster, and strange alien creatures make the mission more dangerous. Creepy and imaginative, if you like '80s action sci-fi movies, this one is a classic.
- "Aliens" brought us another dose of Ripley; a woman strong enough to outlast the men, kick some serious alien butt and still have time to cuddle a kitty. One of the best '80s action sci-fi movies about alien life forms, this is a definite must-see for any science fiction fan.
- Of course, if we talk about "Aliens," we also have to mention "Predator." Back before these two wicked alien races were battling each other to the death, the Predators were stalking the earth and hassling poor commandos. Watching Arnold Schwarzenegger battle with butt-ugly alien warriors definitely makes for one of the best '80s action sci-fi movies you can find.
- "The Abyss" introduces us to the NTI (non-terrestrial intelligence), as opposed to your run of the mill extra-terrestrial. Navy SEALs find themselves trying to keep their heads above water when a hurricane threatens their mission to disarm a sunken nuclear submarine. A great '80s action sci-fi movie, you can watch this one again and again.
- Harrison Ford plays a detective on the hunt for rogue androids, called Replicants, in the movie "Blade Runner." Based on Philip K. Dick's story, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" ask any sci-fi fan and chances are they'll list this as one of the best '80s action sci-fi movies. For many, this is one of the best sci-fi movies of all time.
- One of the biggest sci-fi action films from the '80s would have to be "Terminator." This film is fairly bloody, but it has all the elements to make it one of the best '80s action sci-fi movies. A bleak future? Check. Time travel? Check. Wild and unstoppable killer cyborgs with big guns? Check and check.
- Another must-have in the list of best '80s action sci-fi movies is a "Star Trek" movie, and "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" does not disappoint. Staring William Shatner as the ever-present Captain Kirk and the amazing Ricardo Montablan as Khan, this is standard sci-fi fare, whether you're a Trekkie or not.
- "RoboCop" is a graphically violent film, but easily one of the best '80s action sci-fi movies of the decade. When a police officer is violently attacked and left for dead, he is rescued and rebuilt as a powerful cyborg, designed to continue to fight crime. The question is whether or not the RoboCop is more man or machine?
- Jeff Goldblum is creepy and grotesque in the remake of "The Fly." While this seems to lean more towards the horror end of things, it still falls under sci-fi and it has some great action moments. If you like creepy and dark, this is certainly a good sci-fi film for you.
Sci-fi movies are all about speculation: what kinds of technology and alien worlds can we discover? What will these disc ...
We preview the year's futuristic films and rate them for plausibility. (Mila Kunis, mankind's fate rests in your hands.)
Looking back at our favorite pop-culture humanoids.