Remember the game where your buddies tried to figure out 10 best '80s movie quotes by spouting any line you could remember? Good times. The 80s was an innocent time for those of us in our 30s today, when we all dreamed of hacking into the government’s computer network to change our grades, putting skis on your bike wheels was not yet a corporate money maker and Phoebe Cates was hotter than an exploding theater of gremlins! Here is a list of the top 10 best quotes from movies of the 80s. Of if not the top, at least the most obscure.
- Real Genius "Do you run?"… "Only when chased." Use and abuse this one anytime anyone asked you that abhorrent question…
- Ghostbusters "Ray, when someone asks you if you are a god, you say, yes!" You should claim this even if they are not dressed in a wierd bubble suit and accompanied by two hairless dogs, one of which used to be your girlfriend!
- Trading Places "Merry New Year!" Most people will be too trashed to know the difference anyway, so use liberally.
- War Games “Al lright, Lightman. Maybe you could tell us who first suggested the idea of reproduction without sex.”…“Um… Your wife?" Commenting on this would only cheapen the experience.
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off "Pardon my French, but Cameron is so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in two weeks you’d have a diamond." Wow, talk about a step up from s#!%ing bricks. Having a friend like this growing up would be great incentive to do everything you could to get that lump of coal in you stocking on Christmas Eve. Let little johnny have his bike, you have dibs on the Bentley…
- Better off Dead "Gee. I’m real sorry your mom blew up, Ricky." A classic line from one of the most classic movies to come out of 80s hollywood. And can you believe that John wishes he never made this move? That's crazy talk Mr. Cusack!!
- Rocky II "Hey yo, Mick, what do I got to chase a chicken for?" Come on Rock, I know you have had a few shots to the head, but where do you think you are going to get all those eggs you have to drink in the morning?
- Coming to America "I’m warning you. I will be forced to thrash you."… "The royal penis is clean, your Highness." His sigh after that line needs no explanation. And, a quote we have all have come to relate to in real life since those youthful innocence filled days that were the 1980s.
- Airplane! "There’s no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you’ll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?" If Julie Hagerty where behind the podium for the State of the Union address to the people of the United States, this line would not be out of place.
- Fast Times At Ridgemont High "People on ludes should not drive." Pretty much anything that comes out of Jeff Spicoli's mouth is an '80s classic.
Yes, the era of a virgin Madonna, jellyfish watches, neon colored noses and smart comedies has become a distant memory, but as the old saying goes, the 80s movie quotes we love never really leave us.