10 Best 80's Rock Ballads
The 80's were a time of big hair, arena rock and awesome rock ballads, so of course there should be a 10 best 80's rock ballads list. Coming up with this list, however, is not as easy is it seems. There are lots of great rock bands from the 80's and pretty much every one of those bands had a ballad. Here are ten of the best rock ballads from the 80's and a little bit about each.
- The British rock band Bad English comes in at number one for their 80's ballad “ When I See You Smile.” This song had kids on the dance floor at high school proms, falling in puppy love to it's words. “When I see you smile, I can face the world, you know I can do anything.”
- 1982 brought about the band Sheriff and their ballad “When I'm With You.” Though the song was featured on their first (and only) album in '82 and the band broke up in '85, this song did not hit the charts until '89 when it made it all the way to number one!
- Pat Benatar gave us one of the most heart felt ballads of the 80's with “We Belong.” This song is found on the "Tropico" album from 1984. “We belong to the light, we belong to the thunder. We belong to the sound of the word we've both fallen under.”
- Chicago band Enuff Znuff hit the airwaves in 1989 with their famed self-titled album. “Fly High Michelle” was just one of the songs that would live in people's heart forever, and it was their rock ballad. This ballad brought a tear to many a listeners eye.
- Definitely one of the best rock ballads of the 80's, Cheap Trick's “The Flame” would be on anyone's top ten list! This power ballad has been covered numerous times, but the original will always be the best. “Remember after the fire, after all the rain, I will be the flame.”
- This number three chart topper was a ballad about more than love, this power ballad was about life and it opened up people's eyes. White Lion's “When The Children Cry” is a top power ballad of the 80's because it made people think and feel. They may not have fallen in love to the song, but they fell in love with the song.
- A song that could be used today to help bullied kids, Kix's “Don't Close Your Eyes” held anti-suicide lyrics. It is a slow ballad tune full of meaning and hope. “Hold on, hold on tight. I'll make everything all right. Wake up don't go to sleep. I'll pray the Lord your soul to keep.”
- With two platinum albums, it just makes sense that Winger would make some sort of top ten 80's list. “Headed For A Heartbreak” puts them on this lists for best ballads because the song could not be ignored in the 80's. It didn't matter if you were watching MTV, listening to the radio, or hanging out at the high school dance, it would play.
- REO Speedwagon actually got their start in the late 60's. In the 70's and 80's, they became very popular and to this day their music is still some of the best road trip music ever recorded. “Keep On Loving You” is a wonderful rock ballad that truly explains the power of love.
- Last, but not least, are Canadian rockers Loverboy. Their rock ballad “This Could Be The Night” seems to be a song about the “first time” and because of that it will live in infamy!