The 10 best 1980's soft rock love songs are songs you will definitely want to add to your playlist. The 1980's were a revolutionary period when it came to soft rock love songs. With many different styles and types of music exploding onto the scene, we can thank the 1980's for giving us some of the best known love songs of our time.
- Whitesnake—"Is This Love" Considered one of the greatest power ballads. "Is This Love" was written by David Coverdale, the lead singer, and John Sykes, the guitarist. Rumors floating around have lead people to believe that "Is This Love" could have originally been planned for Tina Turner.
- Poison – "Every Rose Has its Thorn": Another top greatest power ballad, "Every Rose Has its Thorn" is a top love song, but the band had anything but love during the recording of this song. With Bret (lead singer) believing it was a good thing, CC Devile had much different thoughts.
- Bon Jovi– "Livin’ On a Prayer": A number one hit, and there is a good reason for it. This top soft rock love song from the 1980’s was co-written by Desmond Child and Bon Jovi. "Livin’ On A Prayer" spent four weeks at the top of the charts.
- Van Halen – "When It’s Love": written by Alex Van Hallen, Edward Van Halen, Sammy Hager and Michael Anthony. "When It’s Love" hit the charts and topped at the fifth spot in 1988. With questions about “How do I know when it’s love” and responses “It’s just somethin’ you feel together” hits home on the soft rock love of the 1980’s.
- Dokken – "Alone Again": One of the sad soft rock love songs of the 1980’s. "Alone Again" is about lost love and the desire for the loved one to see and feel the love, but in the end the person is alone again.
- Foreigner – "I Want to Know What Love Is": What more can be said about Foreigner and their desire to know what love is? Still one of the best known Foreigner songs, "I Want To Know What Love Is", hit the charts not only in the U.S, but also in the UK.
- Berlin – "Take My Breath Away": Widely known because of the use in the movie Top Gun, What women can turn down a steamy Tom Cruise of the 1980’s and this 80’s soft rock love song.
- Jefferson Starship – "Sara": "Sara" sung by Mickey Thomas has made all girls named "Sara" weak in the knees for decades. "Sara" hit the number one spot and remained there for a week.
- REO Speedwagon – "Can’t Fight This Feeling": Another greatest soft rock song of the 1980’s, "Can’t Fight this Feeling" is often miss-titled to "Can’t Fight This Feeling Anymore". "Can’t Fight This Feeling" is about a man loving a woman the man has known for a long time.
- Sting – "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free": From Sting’s solo debut album. With some jazz thrown in, this 1980’s soft rock love song will get the girl in your life in the groove and get the bodies swaying.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.