Curious about the 10 best '80s sports cars? When one thinks of the cars of the 1980s, it is not uncommon to think of the underpowered, heavily restricted cars that roamed the streets and highways of this great country. However, contrary to popular belief, there were actually a few gems that were produced during those years.
- Dodge Shelby Charger. Throughout the early 1980s, Chrysler was having an identity crisis and needed a spark in design. In 1983, automotive legend Carroll Shelby was recruited to put his name and subtle touches to the Charger. With the advent of the Shelby Charger, the horsepower jumped 107 in 1983 and finished up with a whopping 174 horsepower twin turbo version in 1987.
- Pontiac Fiero. Ranking the Fiero as one of the 10 best '80s sports cars was a difficult decision; however, it has earned a spot due to being the first mass produced mid-engine sports car manufactured by an American company.
- Nissan 300 ZX. Improving upon the popular 280Z was no easy task for Nissan in the early '80s. By taking the spirit of the 280 and adding a V-6 engine and improving the aerodynamics, Nissan did just that. Using the horsepower and aerodynamics now available in the 300 ZX, Nissan had tremendous success in the racing world, making the 300 ZX one of the 10 best '80s sports cars.
- Ford Mustang. Through the late '70s and into the early '80s, Ford was losing many customers to the more popular and better styled Camaros and Firebirds. Ford then came out with the fox body Mustang. Once they coupled their mighty 5.0 liter V-8 with the lighter body, a new muscle car was formed. For the first time in several years, the Camaros and Firebirds of the '80s had some stiff competition. The fox body Mustang of the 80's is still one of the most popular and easily recognizable cars on the road.
- Chevrolet Camaro / Pontiac Firebird. The Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird became lighter and faster in the early '80s. These cars came with modern fuel injection and numerous performance levels, from the legendary Z-28, to the IROC Z along with the WS6 package from Pontiac. The Camaro became the car of choice for the International Race of Champions (IROC series) in the 1980s. These cars can be found on almost anyone's 10 best '80s sports cars list for good reason.
- Porsche 944. As a revised version of the 924, the Porsche 944 was intended to continue production well into the 1990s. The 944 had significant improvements in aerodynamics and power from the 924.
- Chevrolet Corvette. Rebounding from the gas struggles of the late 1970s, Chevrolet introduced a fourth generation Corvette with a more fuel efficient power plant. Even though the engine performed better in the mileage arena, it was still powerful enough to be called a Corvette.
- Buick Grand National. Piggybacking on the success of the Buick, Monte Carlo and Grand Prix in the world of Nascar, Buick decided to one-up the competition. Placing a turbo charged 3.8 liter V-6 into the lightweight body of a Buick Regal, the Grand National paid tribute to the Grand National series in Nascar. The Grand National is one of the most coveted collector's cars of the 1980s, placing it highly as one of the 10 best '80s sports cars.
- BMW M1. Being one of the rarest BMWs on the planet, along with being designed by Lamborghini, makes the BMW M1 one of the most sought after cars of the '80s.
- Lamborghini Countach. The Countach began production in 1974, and wasn't discontinued until the end of the 1980s. With its edgy styling and powerful V-12 engine, the Lamborghini Countach has been a childhood dream for millions of children. Given even more exposure through its roles in classic films, the Countach is still one of the top cars in the world, as well as being one of the 10 best '80s sports cars.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.