Though there were many popular female artists in the 90's, only a select group could be considered the 10 best 90's female artists. The 90's saw an explosion of female artists on the music scene. This decade saw the rise of country crossover artists, growth of some of the biggest mainstream R&B stars and the start of the all-female musical festival, Lilith Fair.
- Mariah Carey. Mariah Carey broke onto the scene with her debut, self-titled album Mariah Carey, which went on to be the best-selling album of 1991. She eventually went on to be the top recording artist of the 90's thanks to hits like "Vision of Love," "Hero" and the remake of The Jackson Five's song "I'll Be There."
- Janet Jackson. Janet Jackson, sister of Michael Jackson, established her music career during the late 80's. However, she gained superstar status as a female artist in the 90's, thanks largely to her hit album Rhythm Nation 1814. Additional hit albums Janet and The Velvet Rope and a role in the movie Poetic Justice rounded out Janet's contribution to 90's pop culture.
- Celine Dion. Canadian import and one of the best-selling artists of the 90's, Celine Dion is probably most remembered for the song "My Heart Will Go On" from 1997's Titanic soundtrack. Her albums The Colour of My Love and Falling Into You helped cement her international fame.
- Shania Twain. Shania Twain released her debut, self-titled country album in 1993. Her wildly successful third album, Come on Over, in 1997 helped her become a huge crossover success, blurring the lines between pop and country music.
- Alanis Morissette. Alanis Morissette had a small pop music career in Canada before moving to Los Angeles and releasing her biggest album, Jagged Little Pill, which is the third best selling album by a female artist. The rage-filled song "You Oughta Know" has been rumored to be about her breakup with Full House star David Coulier.
- Faith Hill. Faith Hill, like Shania Twain, enjoyed crossover success as a country artist during the 90's. Faith Hill was already a country music star in the early 90s, but earned mainstream popularity in the late 90's with the songs "This Kiss" and "Breathe." She is also married to country superstar Tim McGraw.
- Sheryl Crow. Sheryl Crow, once a backup singer for Michael Jackson, broke through with her debut album Tuesday Night Music Club. Some of her 90's hits include "All I Wanna Do," 'Everyday is a Winding Road" and "If it Makes You Happy."
- Tori Amos. Tori Amos was one of the best Indie music artists of the 90's. Starting with her 1992 album Little Earthquakes, the classically trained pianist injected raw emotion into her music and gained a cult following. She also released Under The Pink, Boys For Pele and From the Choirgirl Hotel in the 90's.
- Madonna. Though her big break came in the 1980's, Madonna had a streak of successful albums throughout the 90's. The early 90's albums Erotica and Bedtime Stories continued to play on her sexualized image. After the birth of her daughter and discovering Kabbalah in the late 90's, her spiritualism was reflected in the 1998 album Ray of Light.
- Jewel. Famous for making it big after leaving Alaska and living in a van while performing in cafes, Jewel's career took off with her 1995 album Pieces of You, which included her biggest hits "You Were Meant for Me", "Who Will Save Your Soul" and "Foolish Games." Jewel also published a book of poetry in 1998 titled A Night Without Armor, which capitalized on the height of her popularity.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …