The 10 best 90’s rock ballads all have meaningful lyrics and soft music. A ballad is a narrative that is set to music and ballads generally have a rhyming format. The 1990’s were a decade filled with rock and alternative music. Bands that were hot in the 90’s include: Bon Jovi, Bad English and The Goo Goo Dolls. Here is a guide to the 10 best 90’s rock ballads.
- “Always” by Bon Jovi– Bon Jovi has one of the best 90’s rock ballads with “Always.” This song became their best selling single with more than three million copies sold worldwide. It hit #4 on the Billboard charts. The music video features popular stars such as Jason Wiles and Keri Russell.
- “Candle in the Wind” by Elton John– This is a remake of the 1973 song by Elton. The earlier song was a tribute to Marilyn Monroe whereas the latter song was dedicated to Princess Diana. The song peaked at #1 in the United Kingdom. In 2009, the Guinness Book of World Records recorded that the song is the best selling song since the 1950’s, selling 33 million copies worldwide.
- “November Rain” by Guns N Roses– This hot ballad is one of the best 90’s rock ballads because it won an MTV Video Music Award for Best Cinematography. The song is 8 minutes and 57 seconds long. The last two minutes of the song features an amazing guitar solo by Slash, the band’s former lead guitarist. Guitar World lists the song at #6 on the list of 100 Greatest Guitar Solos.
- “Love of a Lifetime” by Firehouse- The song was written by lead singer, C.J. Snare when he was performing solo gigs at a hotel. When the band formed and they were looking for a ballad to play, this song was chosen. “Love of a Lifetime” is the band’s most popular ballad. The song peaked at #5 on the Billboard charts.
- “It Must Have Been Love” by Roxette- This ballad was the band’s third #1 hit song. It was certified Gold in several countries including the United States and Canada. “It Must Have Been Love” was a hit in the movie, “Pretty Woman.” Scenes from the movie are showcased in the music video.
- “Iris” by The Goo Goo Dolls- This song appears on the soundtrack for the movie “City of Angels.” It also appears on the band’s sixth album, “Dizzy up the Girl.” It stayed at #1 for a straight 18 weeks on the Billboard charts. The music video features the band on top of a skyscraper looking at the world through telescopes and features scenes from the movie “City of Angels.”
- “I Wish It Would Rain Down” by Phil Collins- Phil has recorded many touching ballads throughout his career and this song is definitely one of the best 90’s rock ballads. The song features Eric Clapton on guitar. The ballad peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States, #1 on the RPM Top 100 in Canada and #7 on the UK Singles chart.
- “Nothing Else Matters” by Metallica- You may not think of ballads when you think of Metallica but this song is a beautiful rock ballad. The song peaked at #11 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. The song appears in the video game “Guitar Hero: Metallica.” The lyrics were written by lead vocalist, James Hetfield and the song is dedicated to his girlfriend.
- “Winds of Change” by The Scorpions- “Winds of Change” is one of the best rock ballads of the 90’s. Besides the English version, the band also wrote a Russian and Spanish version of the song. The ballad has sold more than fourteen million copies worldwide. This makes the song one of the top ten best selling songs of all time worldwide.
- “Price of Love” by Bad English- This beautiful ballad is a rock song that gave the band a Top 10 hit. The song appears on their album, “Bad English.” “Price of Love” is one of three Top 10 songs from the album.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
You’re Not a Man Unless You Can Cook These 5 Meals
You're not off the hook: This list includes dessert.