10 Best 90's Rock Songs
Rock music has been around for ages, but the 10 best 90’s rock songs stand out from all the other generations. These songs from the 1990's feature bands that knew how to get your head rocking to the beat:
- “Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana was an instant favorite among listeners in the 90’s. This song was released in 1991 and was the band’s biggest hit, placing number six on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
- “Creep” performed by English rock band Radiohead hit the airwaves a second time in 1993. While it wasn’t successful during its debut release in 1992, it became a worldwide hit after its re-release.
- “Black Hole Sun” by Soundgarden was released in 1994. It became the band’s signature song and stayed at number one on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart for seven weeks.
- “Closer” by Nine Inch Nails was part of the album “The Downward Spiral” which was made available in 1994. Though the lyrics are extraordinarily graphic, it became the band’s biggest hit.
- “November Rain” by Guns N’ Roses was a single released in 1992. They won an MTV Video Music Award for Best Cinematography. It is also nearly nine minutes long.
- “Sabotage” made waves in 1994 when the rap rock group Beastie Boys released their album, Ill Communication. It continues to rank highly on lists of the greatest songs of the 90's.
- “Alive” was Pearl Jam’s first single, fresh off their debut album, “Ten”, which was released in 1991. The song hit number 16 on the music charts in the UK and remixed versions released over ten years later in the United States peaked at number sixteen on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart.
- “Killing in the Name” from Rage Against the Machine’s self-titled, debut album was released as their first single in 1992. This single continues to get radio regular radio play and ranks high on charts featuring the best rock music from the 90's.
- “Longview” by Green Day hit the top of the charts after its release in 1994. Their first single, this awesome rock song launched the band’s successful career.
- “Man in the Box” by Alice in Chains pleased rock music fans after its release in 1991. Though it only ranked number 18 on the Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart, it is still considered one of the band’s signature songs and one of the best rock songs of the 90's.
Posted on: Nov. 29, 2010