10 Best Acoustic Songs Ever
Many acoustic songs start out as full-instrument versions. Everybody has their own favorite acoustic song, but this list of the ten best acoustic songs ever includes classics in several music genres.
- “Me and Bobby McGee” Written by Kris Kristofferson, Janis Joplin recorded this song in 1971. For many, Joplin’s plaintive lament is one of the best acoustic songs ever.
- “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You” Before Led Zepellin released an acoustic version in 1969, this classic I’m-getting-out-of-here song was originally written as a folk song in the 1950’s.
- “Under the Bridge” The acoustic “Under the Bridge” documents Red Hot Chili Pepper’s singer Anthony Kiedis’ drug problems.
- “Imagine” John Lennon’s acoustic call to piece was recorded in 1971. Still one of the best acoustic songs ever, the song has been covered by untold number of artists.
- “Hurt” Not the Trent Reznor’s version, but Johnny Cash’s 2002 cover. Cash’s version rates not only as one of the best acoustic songs ever, but as one of the most popular, it won a Grammy and is listed on most “Top Of” music lists.
- “Wish You Were Here” Pink Floyd’s 1975 acoustic song remains a classic.
- “Hallelujah” Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” has been covered by dozens of artists, but Jeff Buckley’s 1994 version remains a listener favorite. One of the best acoustic songs of all time, Buckley’s cover honors Cohen’s lyrics.
- “Everlong” For many, the acoustic version of “Everlong” is preferred over the original. Since playing the song on Howard Stern’s radio show in 1997, Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters has released the acoustic version on several CD’s.
- “Layla” A listing of the best acoustic songs ever would not be complete without the mention of Eric Clapton’s “Layla.” After singing an acoustic version on “Unplugged” in 1992, the song went on to win a Grammy in 1993.
- “Blackbird” The list of the ten best acoustic songs is rounded out by The Beatles’ 1968 song, “Blackbird.” Found on the White Album, the recording is a solo by McCartney using an acoustical guitar.
Posted on: Nov. 20, 2010