Serious acting students should consider the ten best acting schools in California. Training forms the foundation that every actor or actress stands upon before beginning a career. Choosing the right school will play a critical role not only in the development of acting technique, but also in terms of contacts which may lead to roles down the road.
- Pacific Conservatory of the Performing Arts. This hidden gem amidst the broccoli and strawberry patches of Santa Maria offers an intense vocational certificate program as well as a full season of shows on three stages. Ideal as an alternative to undergraduate programs and one of the best acting schools in California.
- Humboldt State University. The Northern California country famous for its medical marijuana proliferation also offers one the best acting schools.
- The Actors Workshop Los Angeles. One of the best acting schools around, when not working towards their own stardom students can view the cosmos at the nearby Griffith Park Observatory.
- University of California at Irvine. Acting schools in the suburbs? Yes, it is true. This acting school is a part of the Claire Trevor School of the Arts.
- California Institute of the Arts. Located just north of Los Angeles in the city of Santa Clarita, CalArts is one of California's best acting schools. Bonus points for the school's proximity to Magic Mountain, where stressed acting students can release tensions while screaming bloody murder on gravity defying roller-coasters.
- University of California at San Diego. World class acting school and a professional relationship with the La Jolla Playhouse, this acting school is ideal for students seeking a school with a beach front location.
- American Conservatory Theater. San Francisco's Tony Award-winning theater offers the serious student one of the best, and most demanding, acting schools in the state.
- UCLA. Competitive and coveted, UCLA has long been considered among the best acting schools in California.
- California State University, Northridge. Oh my God, this acting school is, like, totally in the valley. Don't be fooled though, CSUN offers students an entire professional theatre department.
- Stella Adler Academy of Acting and Theatre. One of the best acting schools in California also receives bonus points for its proximity to the Hollywood sign.
"20th Century Actor Training," by Alison Hodge, February 2000.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)