Any serious actor should constantly be honing his craft and the 10 best acting Schools in Los Angeles offer a wide range of classes to help you do just that. It is important to find an acting school or coach that suits your individual needs, so this list should serve as a guide to help you get you started.
- Best Cold Reading School: Margie Harber is the Los Angeles authority on cold reading and on camera audition technique. Her book, "How to Get The Part Without Falling Apart" is one of the best books ever written on the subject, and Harber was also the winner of the 2009 Backstage West reader's choice award for best audition workshop. If you are interested in studying with Harber, she hosts a free new student orientation from 1:30 to 2:30 PM every Monday at 971 N. La Cienega Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90069, or call 310-854-0870.
- Best Commercial Acting School: Carolyne Barry's workshops are highly recommended by agents and casting directors, and "Backstage West" magazine awarded her the honor of best commercial workshop in 2009. Barry offers three levels of her commercial training classes. Her acting school also offers classes in various other subjects. Carolyne Barry Creative may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (323) 654-2212.
- Best Private Coach: Judy Kerr is author of the acclaimed actor's bible, "Acting is Everything". Herself an accomplished actress, Kerr was also the dialogue coach for NBC's longtime hit, "Seinfeld." She offers one-on-one audition coaching and career coaching. Kerr may be reached through her website at www.judykerr.com.
- Best Improvisation School: The Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre, usually referred to as UCB, began in New York, co-founded by SNL alum Amy Poehler. UCB was awarded "Best Improv" by Los Angeles Magazine and offers a wide variety of classes in the difficult craft of Improvisation. The company members perform nearly every evening. 5919 Franklin Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90028. (323) 908-8702
- Best Youth Acting School: Gary Spatz of The Playground has been working with children and young adult performers for over 20 years. His former clients include Keri Russell, Hilary Duff and Academy Award Nominee, Maggie Gyllenhaal. Spatz not only gives young actors the tools they need to succeed, he also helps their parents understand the industry. 1801 Ave of the Stars, Suite 611, 6th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90067.
- Best Acting School with On-Camera Coaching: Doug Warhit has been coaching actors for over twenty years, and his method is geared almost exclusively for on-camera performance. All classes are videotaped, and Warhit covers a wide range of subjects including commercials, cold reading, and auditioning. Each month he holds an industry showcase for his students. 8899 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA, 90048. (310) 479-5647
- Best Acting School Offering Daily Classes: The Acting Corps offers a four week, intensive, hands-on acting program where students attend classes daily. The program includes two days of technique, two days of cold reading and scene study, and one day a week dedicated to voice and movement work. 5508 Cahuenga Boulevard, North Hollywood, CA 91601.
- Best Acting School to Study Technique: Howard Fine was named best acting teacher in Los Angeles by Backstage West in 2006, and he has been teaching his technique-based acting classes for over 25 years. Every student begins Fine's program with a foundation course and then may be invited to study in his ongoing classes. 1445 N. Las Palmas Avenue, Hollywood, CA 90028
- Best Acting School With Multi-Subject Classes; Kimberly Jentzen. The "Jentzen Technique" teaches students to develop complex and dynamic characters and shows actors how to deliver consistently strong auditions. In her ongoing classes she also teaches cold reading, improvisation, and scene study. She has been voted Best Acting Coach by Backstage West magazine multiple times. Contact at email@example.com. (818) 779-7770
- Best Acting School with Multi-Subject Classes; Scott Sedita. Bestselling author of the actor's career book, "Making it in Hollywood," and the internationally acclaimed comedy book, "The Eight Characters of Comedy," Sedita offers private coaching as well as classes in professional audition technique, comedy and drama. He has been voted Favorite Acting Teacher and Favorite Audition Class by the readers of Backstage West Magazine. 526 North Larchmont Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90004-1300. (323) 465-6152
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …