Tinseltown's 10 best actors of all time have dazzled us with star power for over 100 years. Great movies are driven by great stories which are driven by great actors, which is why we love to see these 10 best actors of all time on screen creating memorable roles.
- Humphrey Bogart – Bogie’s list of movies include some of the greatest of all time, such as “Casablanca” and the “Maltese Falcon.” The distinctive-voiced star graced the screen for a relatively short 30 years, but he left an indelible trail of historic characters.
- Jimmy Stewart – Stewart had an everyman quality to him that left audiences unable to keep from liking him. He may be best known for the Christmas classic “It’s a Wonderful Life,” but he also starred in the heroic “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington,” the charming “Harvey,” and the Hitchcock classic thrillers “Vertigo” and “Rear Window.” He may be the most beloved of all film stars.
- Katherine Hepburn – Hepburn is no doubt the most recognizable female actor and one of the 10 best actors of all time. A career that spanned fifty years and that saw her win four Academy Awards. She was known for her roles with Spencer Tracy, with whom she had a long-time off-screen affair, and for her tempestuous and fiery attitude.
- Marlon Brando – Brando was perhaps the most enigmatic of the 10 best actors of all time. Early in his career he made his mark with movies like “A Streetcar Named Desire” and “On the Waterfront.” Later in life he gave an unforgettable performance as Vito Corleone, in “The Godfather,” for which he won an Oscar, and for which he sent in his place to accept the award an American Indian as a statement to show his concern for the poor depictions of Indians in Hollywood.
- Audrey Hepburn – Hepburn was known for her grace and charm, particularly in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”, in which she played the memorable Holly Golightly, which was perhaps her most famous role. She also starred in the classic “My Fair Lady” and was named the most beautiful woman of all time in a 2004 poll.
- Cary Grant – Any list of the best actors of all time has to include Cary Grant, who was in such greats as “North by Northwest,” “The Philadelphia Story,” and “Bringing up Baby.” He was suave, debonair, handsome and his legend grew when author Ian Fleming said that he had Grant in mind when he created James Bond.
- Fred Astaire – Astaire is not only remembered for being a great dancer, but he was also, simply, a great entertainer, with a career on stage and screen that lasted 76 years. He made 31 musical films, 10 with famed partner Ginger Rogers. His dancing has influenced other dancers and choreographers across the decades.
- Ingrid Bergman – This Swedish beauty won three Academy Awards and is perhaps best known for her role opposite Bogart in Casablanca. Famed producer David Selznick called her “the most completely conscientious actress” he knew. Later in life she began a relationship with director Roberto Rossellini, with whom she had daughter Isabella, also an actor.
- Clark Gable – Gable defines manliness, most notoriously in his most popular role as Rhett Butler in “Gone With the Wind” (a role he didn’t want because he didn’t think he could live up to the public’s expectations for Butler. He was wrong.) Called “The King of Hollywood” in his career, he was nominated for three Oscars and won one for “It Happened One Night.” He is certainly one of the best actors of all time.
- Clint Eastwood – Eastwood is the consummate tough guy and his long career has gone through many phases. He made many westerns in the 60’s and 70’s and then the Dirty Harry series in the 70’s and 80’s. Later in his career he made one of the best western’s ever, “The Unforgiven,” and branched out with a romantic role in “The Bridges of Madison County.” He has also been an accomplished director.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.