The 10 best actresses of the '70s still entertain us today. The entertainment industry continues to produce movies and television shows that star some of the same actresses from the 1970s.
- Meryl Streep. Meryl Streep has been nominated for an Academy Award sixteen times and has won it twice, which puts her in the top actresses in the 1970s. In 1977, she played in the movie “Julie” to great acclaim. She won an Academy Award for the 1979 film “Kramer Vs. Kramer”.
- Katharine Hepburn. The amazing Katharine Hepburn is one of the top actresses of the 1970’s because of all her made for television shows that she acted in. She has won four Oscars, which is the top for all actresses. In 1975, she starred in “Rooster Cogburn” with John Wayne.
- Sigourney Weaver. Sigourney Weaver made her first film appearance in the movie “Annie Hall” directed by Woody Allen. In 1978, she appeared in the film “Madmen”. Her part as Ripley, in the movie “Alien” makes her one of the top actresses of the 1970s.
- Bette Davis. Bette Davis appeared in many television series in the 1970s. She was awarded AFI’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 1977, which put her on the list of being one of the top actresses of the 1970s. She won an Emmy for Best Actress in 1979 for “Strangers: The Story of a Mother and Daughter”.
- Ingrid Bergman. This lovely Swedish born actress won three Oscars. Her third Oscar was won after acting in “Murder on the Orient Express”. She was a tall woman at five foot ten inches, so that, Humphrey Bogart had to have extensions in his shoes when she played opposite of him in “Casablanca”.
- Jane Fonda. Jane Fonda followed in the footsteps of her famous father Henry Fonda although reluctantly at first. She has a respected career with two Academy Awards and five Oscar nominations. Her two Academy Awards, which place her as one of the top actresses of the 1970s, were for “Klute” in 1971 and “Coming Home” in 1978.
- Susan Sarandon. In 1970, Susan landed a huge role in the movie “Joe”. She played the role of Susan Compton. Being one of the top actresses in the 70s, she was immortalized in the movie “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” in 1975.
- Shirley MacLaine. Named after Shirley Temple, this acclaimed actress received her fourth Oscar nomination for her role in “The Turning Point” in 1977. In 1979, she worked with the legendary Peter Sellers in “Being There”. She is the older sister of Warren Beatty and one of the top actresses in the 1970s.
- Faye Dunaway. Born in Florida in 1941, this stunning beauty played her part many times with sex appeal. She played the part of Katie Elder in the movie “Doc” in 1971. Faye is one of the top actresses of the 1970s because of her many roles in movies such as “The Champ” in 1979.
- Julie Andrews. In 1979, she played in the film “10” which was directed by her husband, Blake Edwards. She is one of the top actresses of the 1970s for her many roles in famous movies. She hosted a variety of television shows in the 1970s.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)