The list for best actresses of the 90’s could have been a mile long. These women played roles that pulled on your heart strings and others that made you run for cover. Each of these women pulled off each role as if it was the life they lead and that is why they are the best actresses of the 90’s.
- Julia Roberts. This pretty woman made the list of best actresses of the '90s by starting the decade with a role as a prostitute. Roberts continued her career by taking the opposite role of a law student in “Pelican Brief” that has stumbled onto a conspiracy theory.
- Kate Winslet. Winslet is the female known for playing characters often afflicted by forbidden love. To earn her spot on the list of best actresses of the 90’s she brought the characters of Rose Dewitt Bukater and Ophelia to life.
- Sandra Bullock. From a police officer in “Demolition Man” to the quirky Annie Porter in “Speed” and “Speed: Cruise Control”, Bullock adds style and dimension to her roles. This stunning star's acting abilities took her through the 90’s and beyond.
- Diane Keaton. This actress knows all about marriage. From “The Godfather" to "Father of the Briade", Diane Keaton has been wed to a mafioso as well as an over zealous father. She even sought revenge on an ex-husband in “The First Wives Club”.
- Susan Sarandon. She has played a number of roles. In the heartbreaking “Stepmom”, Sarandon played a terminally ill mother who has to accept that her ex-husbands new wife will be her children’s mother. In “Thelma & Louise” she was a waitress who left her life behind for a road trip.
- Meg Ryan. Known best for her romantic comedies and dramas, such as “Sleepless in Seattle”, “When a Man Loves a Woman”, and “You’ve Got Mail”. Ryan has played roles alongside many great actors including Tom Hanks, Andy Garcia, and Nicholas Cage.
- Helen Hunt. As a best actress of the 90’s, who could ever forget Dr. Jo Harding, the crazy tornado chaser in “Twister”. Or Hunt’s Academy Award winning roll as a waitress and single mom in “As Good as it Gets”.
- Renee Zellweger. She laid her claim to fame in “Jerry McGuire” as the secretary for a Sports Agent. The 90’s laid the ground work for her budding career.
- Winona Ryder. Her career was jumpstarted in 1988 with the release of “Heathers” and “Beetlejuice”, but Ryder’s good fortune followed her through to be on the best actress of the 90’s list. She was Johnny Depp’s love interest in “Edward Scissorhands”, a tormented Gen X-er in "Reality Bites", and a delusional mental patient in “Girl, Interrupted”.
- Meryl Streep. Although she was nominated for numerous Academy Awards in the 90’s for her roles, she never won. From her heartfelt role of the doting housewife and mother in “The Bridges of Madison County” to a teacher in “Music of the Heart", Streep is an amazing actress, no matter what decade you're looking at.
All of these women have deserved to be on the best actress of the 90’s list whether they have won awards for their roles or not. Time and time again they have proven they can progress seamlessly from one role to the next.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...